server volume security just for 2 users
I am looking for a simple steps procedure for settings up a volume on a Server 2003 computer for access only for two users. One of which is the company's CPA. She only needs to put files into the folder.Tom Wallin
August 31st, 2011 1:22pm

OK. I have setup the volume and it doesn't work. Nobody can map the volume to a drive. The error msg is - "Windows cannot access \\volume" "You do not have permission to access \\volume"Tom Wallin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2011 4:17pm

Hi Tom, How did you setup the volume? If you need to make a partition such as D: dive to access only for two users, you can edit the Security tab of this partition. Add these two users, grant them the permission you want and remove others. If you want to map a network drive on the Windows Server 2003 computer to these two users, you can use GPO to map drive or let the user map network drive from client side. Please refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308582. Another option is using Home folder, please refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816313 If these options do not address your concern, please let us know more information about this problem. Regards, Bruce Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
September 2nd, 2011 12:58am

I guess the problem I am seeing is I am getting an error msg when I try to mount the volume on my Win7 desktop. I get a "Windows cannot access \\domain server\volume" - "You do not have permission ..." You asked how I setup the volume. I did as follows: 1. Opened the drive on the server where I wanted the volume and right-clicked. 2. Selected the menu option New-Folder and named it. The folder weas created. 3. Right-clicked the folder and selected Sharing and Security from the menu 4. Went to the Sharing tab and selected the option to Share this folder. Also selected the option to User limit-Allow this number of users. And put a 3 in the drop down selector. 5. Selected the Permissions button. Added the three users and deleted the Everyone object. 6. Gave each user Full Control permission. Here comes my question. First I don't remember what, or if, I did anything here in the security tab. But there are the following groups in the Group or Users window - Administrators, Creator Owner, and Users along with the three specific users I added in the previous steps. Should the groups be deleted? I have one other question. The CPA for the company needs acces to this volume from her office. But I don't want her to have access to anything else. Can I use Terminal Server connection to do this? Tom Wallin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2011 2:15pm

The problem seems to be limited to Win7Tom Wallin
September 8th, 2011 1:01pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics