server stops working
Our organisation stops working after some hour and it stops everything like internet , printing and even i cannot open AD for adding a user to the domain . The only issues i have got was a disk space issues and i have moved some files to the E drive so that i can have some disk space for C . . So in order to clear the above problems (when the server stops working) the only thing I do is to restart the server daily and everything works as normal . Please help me on identifying these problems and help me on finding the solutions .Thanks
January 8th, 2010 3:01pm

Please give a clean boot to the server and see if it works listed below is the procedure for clean boot. am listing below some of the basic troubleshooting guide which might help you. In order to narrow down the cause of the issue more efficiently, please refer to the following steps to perform a Clean Boot and restart the problematic server in Safe Mode to see if the issue will re-occur Step 1: Perform a Clean Boot 1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility. 2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray). 3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". 4. restart your computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the box and click "OK". 2) Please try to disable the event Antivirus and check it. Thanks and Hope it Helps Syed http://technetfaqs.wordpress.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 8th, 2010 3:09pm

Hi ,There are multiple issues in your scenario. a) Resource depletion b) Virus behavior c) Problem with the power outletc) as syed mentioned it is worth trying in safe mode to check if the problem occurs.The next plan would be to contact microsoft to take the memory dump during before the system startup or to run perfom to analyze the primary counters like memory cpu networkand disk
January 8th, 2010 4:27pm

If you're running Windows Server 2008 / R2, is it activated?If you're running Small Business Server (any version), does it hold all FSMO-roles?Best regards Joachim Nsslander IT-Expert, Knowledge Factory (http://www.knowledgefactory.se) MVP Cluster Member of Microsoft Extended Experts Team (MEET) Blog: http://www.nullsession.com
January 8th, 2010 4:52pm

i am running SBS 2003 I can only find these roles RID . PDC, Infrastructure. But i got this error in Event viwer in Directory Service Source: NTDS Replication Event ID:2092 Source:NTDS Replication EventID:1864 And what is the disadvantage of moving the Monitoring Instance of MSDE 2000. Cause that was the major change i have made to get rid of the disk space problem . And how about the Licensing does it have a great impact i have this warning every time License usage for a product in per server mode is nearing the max number of Licenses purchased. Anyways I am waiting for ur responses.
January 9th, 2010 12:17pm

The license usage thing is not a problem (as long as you don't pass the maximum number...)The FSMO-roles must all be located on a SBS-server, otherwise it'll shut itself down. Copy this and name it fsmo.vbs and run it, it'll tell you which server has which roles: Set objRootDSE = GetObject("LDAP://rootDSE") ' Schema Master Set objSchema = GetObject("LDAP://" & objRootDSE.Get("schemaNamingContext")) strSchemaMaster = objSchema.Get("fSMORoleOwner") Set objNtds = GetObject("LDAP://" & strSchemaMaster) Set objComputer = GetObject(objNtds.Parent) WScript.Echo "Forest-wide Schema Master FSMO: " & objComputer.Name Set objNtds = Nothing Set objComputer = Nothing ' Domain Naming Master Set objPartitions = GetObject("LDAP://CN=Partitions," & _ objRootDSE.Get("configurationNamingContext")) strDomainNamingMaster = objPartitions.Get("fSMORoleOwner") Set objNtds = GetObject("LDAP://" & strDomainNamingMaster) Set objComputer = GetObject(objNtds.Parent) WScript.Echo "Forest-wide Domain Naming Master FSMO: " & objComputer.Name Set objNtds = Nothing Set objComputer = Nothing ' PDC Emulator Set objDomain = GetObject("LDAP://" & objRootDSE.Get("defaultNamingContext")) strPdcEmulator = objDomain.Get("fSMORoleOwner") Set objNtds = GetObject("LDAP://" & strPdcEmulator) Set objComputer = GetObject(objNtds.Parent) WScript.Echo "Domain's PDC Emulator FSMO: " & objComputer.Name Set objNtds = Nothing Set objComputer = Nothing ' RID Master Set objRidManager = GetObject("LDAP://CN=RID Manager$,CN=System," & _ objRootDSE.Get("defaultNamingContext")) strRidMaster = objRidManager.Get("fSMORoleOwner") Set objNtds = GetObject("LDAP://" & strRidMaster) Set objComputer = GetObject(objNtds.Parent) WScript.Echo "Domain's RID Master FSMO: " & objComputer.Name Set objNtds = Nothing Set objComputer = Nothing ' Infrastructure Master Set objInfrastructure = GetObject("LDAP://CN=Infrastructure," & _ objRootDSE.Get("defaultNamingContext")) strInfrastructureMaster = objInfrastructure.Get("fSMORoleOwner") Set objNtds = GetObject("LDAP://" & strInfrastructureMaster) Set objComputer = GetObject(objNtds.Parent) WScript.Echo "Domain's Infrastructure Master FSMO: " & objComputer.NameBest regards Joachim Nsslander IT-Expert, Knowledge Factory (http://www.knowledgefactory.se) MVP Cluster Member of Microsoft Extended Experts Team (MEET) Blog: http://www.nullsession.com
January 11th, 2010 1:05pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics