server is not accessible
I just reinstalled a Windows Server 2003 and have the following error message when I try to access it from work stations. " Server is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found" This server can access only three out of 6 workstations but no workstation can access it. I need help...
May 19th, 2010 5:23pm

Can you ping this server using NetBIOS and FQDN? Do you have permission on this server? Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://publications.sivarajan.com/ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 19th, 2010 8:21pm

Sounds like the firewall is on (Control Panel -> Windows Firewall). Take a look at that first. Santhosh's idea of pinging it is a good quick way to tell. Firewall will not allow PING to get back to the pinging station. Trying from both the DNS and IP helps drill down on this issue if there is a DNS issue, then Ping to the IP will work, but not the DNS name. Then take a look at your network settings (Control Panel -> Network Connections -> right-click the NIC and select properties. See if File and Printer Sharing is installed and check-marked. Thanks, James
May 19th, 2010 10:05pm

if here "access" means access a share folder, please first try to create a new share folder and share to Everyone - Full Control for test. Check if other work stations can access it with the UNC path. Meanwhile, I would like to confirm if the server and clients are in domain or not. For Windows Firewall, you can directly disable it temporarily to test if it is the cause.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 21st, 2010 5:55am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics