server 2012 r2 only boots to command prompt
I am trying to install windows 2012 R2 standard Server. I completed the installation windows is not booting properly . After entering the user name and password only c:\user\administrator display in the screen, if i type exit on it then only a black screen and mouse pointer display. not sure what to do from here
February 27th, 2014 8:19am

1. it's usual for server core 

2. try to run server manager (just type servermanager in cmd)

3. try to view installed GUI feature using powershell

type powershell

get-windowsfeature *GUI*

verify that you have Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra and Server-Gui-Shell  installed

4. if 3 is false , install GUI features

Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell -Restart		
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 27th, 2014 9:09am

If you are just seeing a command prompt without GUI then it means you have installed core edition of server 2012. Not to worry you can get your GUI back.

Follow these steps and screenshots - http://prajwaldesai.com/switching-between-gui-and-server-core-in-windows-server-2012/

February 27th, 2014 9:25am

hi,

cmd > powershell

In powershell:

Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell -Restart

February 27th, 2014 9:30am

Neither worked, all unrecognized

February 28th, 2014 11:55pm

it's installing, I'm must have typed something wrong

February 28th, 2014 11:59pm

It's installing now, I must have typed something wrong

February 28th, 2014 11:59pm

If you found a post to be the answer, please mark it appropriately.  It helps to keep the forums tidy by highlighting which response is the answer to the question.  It helps future readers.  Thanks!
March 1st, 2014 6:01am

I'm back to the same place.  I need to remove powershell, so I can install GUI version of Active Directory users and computers
March 3rd, 2014 7:08am

No, you don't need to remove PowerShell.

Do you want a core installation or a GUI installation?  The default installation will be core, i.e. no GUI installed.  But, it is possible to install the GUI using PowerShell or DISM afterwards.  From the difficulties you are experiencing, I would recommend that you either re-do your installation one more time, making sure you have selected the option to install with GUI instead of taking the default which is the core installation.

The fact that you say that the command recommended by Roman returns unrecognized to you, I would ask if you are sure you are installing Windows Server and not Hyper-V Server.  Windows Server would recognize the command Roman provided.  What's the name of the ISO file you are using for installation?

March 4th, 2014 1:31am

Hi,

Do you have any progresses on this issue by now?

Please feel free to let us know if this issue persists.

Best Regards,

Amy Wang

March 6th, 2014 5:56am

I want to run Windows Server 2012 normally, with GUI

It was installed and I was going through installing Active Directory Domain Services and upon finishing I did not see Active Directory Users and Computers, upon rebooting I get the cmd prompt and can't go any farther

March 6th, 2014 6:52am

Look you should install the server fresh but do not chose core as they only installs the basic core of Hyper-V for a server farm

March 7th, 2014 9:04am

Corret Paul in Hyper-V we can only install basic core.

Thanks

NM

August 4th, 2014 5:50pm

thanks for this info.  worked great!
January 31st, 2015 11:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics