server 2008 upgrade to r2
I am running server 2008 I want to use r2 I don't know what I need to do. I am getting tired reading the same useless information on the internet. I just want know if I can download just the r2 upgrade. not the entire server 2008r2 and reinstall AD andeverything else.
November 26th, 2009 6:23am

The upgrade is supported but you'll want to use the normal precautions and always be prepared to clean install if necessary.http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/migration-paths.aspxhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/957256/Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 26th, 2009 6:56am

And no, you cannot just download the "upgrade" bits. R2 is the next version of the server OS. It is not a feature upgrade like 2003 R2. You do not install 2008 and then add the R2 bits.Bill
November 26th, 2009 9:10am

Okay so just to make sure I am understanding this correctly. The Server 2008 my company just purchased is not what they really wanted because they want to use direct access. Now they will need to purchase Server 2008r2 and all new CALS because they thought that this was a free upgrade for the purchase of Server 2008. This also means that I will need to format the 5 hard drives and reinstall everything with the new version of Server 2008r2 after I purchase it.
November 26th, 2009 3:37pm

The CALs did not change between Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2.And you will not have to do a complete reinstall, executing setup.exe on the R2 DVD from within the running Windows Server desktop and updating the current server installation would be sufficient, if the current server installation is already 64 Bit and the edition fits to the supported upgrade pathes.Best greetings from GermanyOlaf
November 26th, 2009 4:02pm

Danke mein Freund. So I cannot download the 2008r2rc to a 32bit sys to test?
November 26th, 2009 4:15pm

You can download it, create a DVD with the ISO image which you downloaded for testing, but you will have to perform a clean install. For testing it is recommendable to have either a virtual machine or a dual boot configuration, if you are not able to supply a dedicated system for this.Of course it is a bit difficult to install a 64 Bit OS in a 32 Bit host as guest (Sun Virtualbox seems to offer this, Hyper-V doesnt.)Best greetings from GermanyOlaf
November 27th, 2009 11:34am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics