server 2008 services cannot be started (error 1053)
Hello folks, I'm currently having an issue with server 2008 (sp2 installed some weeks ago) The server has crashed (it has done this before without problems) After reboot, the system will not start a lot of services like dns server, dhcp server, dfs, ... It does start the ad domain services. When I start the services manually, I get error 1053 and thus nothing happens. (tried dhcp dns dfs) It is a domain controller with dns integrated, dhcp and exchange server installed on it (2007) The server is virtual on esxi 3.5. No new hardware or software has been installed between the last crash on september 28th and yesterday evening october 5th. When I reboot, it waits a long time for "shutting down group policy client service", then takes a long time "stopping services". If anybody has any advice on how to solve this, please let me know. thanks.
October 6th, 2009 4:23pm

Restore from the backup.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 6th, 2009 4:37pm

I'm trying that option now but since I cannot see the services dependencies anymore, can you enlighten me on the dependencies for dns server? Google or technet didn't help me find that. thanks
October 6th, 2009 9:36pm

I just restored the system from a 3 weeks old backup. It's just the vmdk that I placed back but now windows is asking to activate again, not sure why, it was activated about half a year ago, in fact it was activated when I made the backup. Now, I'm still having issues, it seems that the when starting outlook, the users cannot authenticate to the exchange server anymore but they succeed in authenticating with the ad domain. (why is that?) cheers.
October 7th, 2009 8:46am

Can users see exchange server? Or is it on the same server with DC? Is there anything in the Event Viewer on the client or Exchange server?
October 7th, 2009 10:40am

Hi, Can you please boot the problematic system with clean boot to check if the issue still exists? Steps to clean boot: 1. Click Start->Run...-> type msconfig and press Enter 2. Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable All third party Services. 3. Click Startup tab and Disable All startup items 4. Click OK and choose Restart 5. After reboot, check whether the problem still occurs This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
October 16th, 2009 12:54pm

Hi there, I would follow david's suggestion and also i would check the behavior in safe mode if the services which were not starting in normal mode exhibits the same behavior in safe mode.The reason being that SCM should not mis-behave with upgrade of sp2 , the database will not corrupt and hence the services under the SCM hood. I would strongly feel that eithera) permission problem b) registry would have modified for that service c) Virus / malware attack because when a service is running in its own address space its hard to predict that some other service is trying to access the memory block which in this case a memory voilation / access voilation error would occur.please let us know after you perform the suggestions . sainath !analyze
October 25th, 2009 5:52am

Hi! I'm having the exact same issue. This is a pre-production Server 2008 w/SP2 which is a Citrix WI/CSG, and logging back into it after a few weeks of no activity; I see that something like 70% of the services are stopped (set to automatic). I've booted it, tried safe mode, tried disabling non-MS services and startup applications, but to no avail. I'm really stumped here; I can't even run Windows Update. And I really don't want to set this up from scratch... Anyone have any good ideas? I can't even run process monitor, so I have no idea what's preventing them from starting. Atleast I'm not alone with this problem... The only thing I can think of is virus/malware, but that seems odd... anyone know any virus scanners that might work here?
November 5th, 2009 2:47pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics