server 2008 r2 VPN setup problems
Hey folks, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on setting up VPN access to my server 2008 r2 Enterprise x64. I am still fairly new to working on servers with taking courses but can't see to figure how to setup a VPN, despite having a good old google. AIM - Connect remotely to my domain hosted on my DC. I have installed Netwrok Policy and Access Service role, enbled and configured as per the following link as I have one network card - http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000103.htm. All VPN setup instruictions say it is this simple so off I was away to conenct on some remote test machines, XP and Windows 7 but neither work. I am using dynamic DNS as my service provider does not provide static IP addresses - works fine and able to Remote desktop fine. Where I am with connecting to the VPN: PPTP - I ahve opened 1723 and configured all the options I can to allow GRE buit it will not conenct. I suspect this is a router fault not forwarding GRE so looking at getting a different router that has VPN pass through, should have one for the weekend. L2TP - I have opened port 1701 but it shows as closed on www.ping.eu. I assume there is no service listening onit SSTP - I have opened port 443 on my router firewall and it shows as open on www.ping.eu. Unfortuantely, it doesn't connect from my win 7 machine. Any suggestions which VPN type I am much likely to get working with my setup? I
June 12th, 2012 9:49am

Hello, Can you please check this link once :http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Configuring-Windows-Server-2008-Remote-Access-SSL-VPN-Server-Part2.html & Moreover since it is related to security query you can seek help here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserversecurity/threads Regards, Ravikumar P
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 12th, 2012 10:12am

Hey Martin, thanks. I never consider removing my router from the equation and connecting the server directly to the fibre modem, good thinking. I should have no problem creating a PPP0E conenction or configuring the frewall but just don't have a Win 7 Server 2008 compaitible NIC. So I will be off to get one for the weekend to have a crack because this is cheaper than buing VPN hardware. I am also going to grab the lend of another router which has better logs and VPN pass through to sort my GRE protocal issue out and look to see if traffic is being passed across to the server, or I have a router problem blocking traffic, not fit for purpuse, etc. Also,I will ahve a look at the link above on VPN setup to have a good run this weekend but suspect a direction connection to the server is the way forward and hangmy router of the swithc for wireless. Though not sure about proxy/DNS setup so some more reading. Cheers John Oh Martin - you assumed right, Thanks :)
June 12th, 2012 6:11pm

Hi, How are things going? I just want to check the status of the issue. If you have any update or concern, please feel free to let us know. Best Regards, AidenAiden Cao TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 14th, 2012 10:15pm

My reply was too loong and too late. I will try again tomorrow but think I have a solution for you. I have using it for over 6 months. Works fine
August 24th, 2012 4:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics