security accounts manager initialization failed because of the following error: Directory Services cannot start
Demoted a windows 2003 server, on restart it had dll error files that i was not patient enough to repair. I decided to perform a repair install on the server using the installation cd, after successfully coping the files and reboot.... on the the GUI, the following error appears when it tries to start the directory service.... LSASS.EXE - System Error, security accounts manager initialization failed because of the following error: Directory Services cannot start. Error status 0xc00002e1. Please click OK to shutdown the system. You can use the recovery console to diagnose further." when i click ok the systems shuts dow. Kindly assist
March 7th, 2012 10:17am

Hello, Please see if following article helps "Directory Services cannot start" error message when you start your Windows-based or SBS-based domain controller ( should be applicable to WS 2003 as well ) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258062This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Most of the downtime's are caused because of SysAdmin's curiosity ! - Santosh
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 7th, 2012 11:44am

Thanks santosh., But i had already started a repair, so i cannot log back in as Directory Services Restore Mode. Plus its demoted, highly doubt it would work either way.
March 8th, 2012 2:54am

Try booting your server in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. run sfc /scannow ( insert the OS media if prompted ) See if this works.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Most of the downtime's are caused because of SysAdmin's curiosity ! - Santosh
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 8th, 2012 3:07am

Hi, I believe this thread is closed (if I should create a new thread, please let me know), but I have a similar problem (system file was damaged, no backup, had to repair using the Installation Media and after reboot I get the error message) and think the solution you presented is the correct one, but have a simple question: how can I apply the hotfix if the system won't boot (even in safe mode) in order to install the package? Thanks in advance, Paulo
June 22nd, 2012 11:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics