scsm 2012 - transform job failing in datawarehouse

the job is failing and i see this error. has anyone any ideas why we would be seeing this

May 21st, 2013 12:55am

My colleague has fixed this issue on our TEST environment by following the steps listet in this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/systemcenterservicemanager/thread/6b2c0197-1a0f-405a-b5b5-b634e7ac846b/

BR

Alex

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 21st, 2013 3:46pm

thanks alexander. I have started to try and run this powershell script, are you able to tell me why I get this error?

May 23rd, 2013 12:55pm

has anyone else got any advice on this? The transform job is still failing and therefor affecting our ability to obtain reports. I have been followiong this link to try and resolve the issues explained above, but treceived the above errors when running the powershell commands

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/systemcenterservicemanager/thread/6b2c0197-1a0f-405a-b5b5-b634e7ac846b/

May 28th, 2013 1:48pm

Have you run this command directly on the Data Warehouse Managemenet Server or from the normal Management Server?

Otherwise try running the get-scdwwatermark with the -computername switch like this:

Get-SCDWWatermark -computername "DWHMS.contoso.com"

where DWHMS.contoso.com is the FQDN to the Data Warehouse Service in your environment.

Btw: All SCSM services are started and running properly I suppose?

Cheers

Alex

May 28th, 2013 5:07pm

Have you run this command directly on the Data Warehouse Managemenet Server or from the normal Management Server?

Otherwise try running the get-scdwwatermark with the -computername switch like this:

Get-SCDWWatermark -computername "DWHMS.contoso.com"

where DWHMS.contoso.com is the FQDN to the Data Warehouse Service in your environment.

Btw: All SCSM services are started and running properly I suppose?

Cheers

Alex

May 28th, 2013 5:07pm

Thanks for your help Alex, I am getting somewhere now.

So i guess the next step is to run set-scdwwatermark .

In my instance below I guess it shoul be

Set-SCDWWatermark -ComputerName GBPRDSCSM02 -EntityName Relationship
-WaterMarkValue 18/5/2013

Before I run this I would greatly appreciate it if you could confirm that you believe this to be correct.

June 3rd, 2013 5:54pm

Hi,

this would partially be correct.

I suppose the command above would fail saying that 18/05/2013 is not a valid datetime...

Therefore I recommend to do the following:

$CustomDate = get-date 18.05.2013 -Hour 7 -Minute 10
Set-SCDWWatermark -computername GBPRDSCSM02 -EntityName Relationship -WaterMarkValue $CustomDate

This ensures that the value you're passing to the WaterMarkValue property is indeed a datetime.

BR

Alex

June 5th, 2013 10:25am

Thank you - followed that command and the job seemed to move on - but still won't complete and is showing as failed with a start time of 18/05/2013 00:00:00

This is what i am seeing in the jobs now - anything you can recomend on the Alex? The TransformEntityRelatesToEntityFact seems to have completed, its the jobs after that that seem to be the problem now

June 5th, 2013 2:55pm

What I can see from that picture is that those jobs having a lower batch ID than the first job (TransformIncidentDim with ID 6390). And although the TransformEntityRelatesToEntityFact job says it has completed successfully, it still shows error messages.

Please try to sort the view by the batch ID and see if the jobs with the highest batches are still failing?

If I remember correctly we had to wait quite a while until the Transform job became "alive" again. Whats the general status of the entire Transform job?

June 5th, 2013 3:53pm

Everything with an ID higher that 5656 completed. Basically it looks fairly intermitant whether the jobs from ID 2897 to 1946 completed or failed. The job is in status of failed and shows a last run date of 18/05/2013 00:00:00 Next run 18/05/2013 00:30:00

It is set to run every 30 minutes and it starts running every 30 minutes then goes back to failed, even though it goes to running every 30 mins the run date and next run date stay as 18/05/2013

June 5th, 2013 5:36pm

Okay, this seems to be a subsequent problem... Do you see something in the OperationsManager logs on the Data Warehouse Management Server while the transform job is running?

Another option would be to try to run the ETL Powershell script Travis Wright wrote once (http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/PowerShell-Script-to-Run-a4a2081c/view/Discussions). This script ensures that all jobs run in a correct order. But if you see error Messages in the logs, I guess those have to be sorted first before the script completes successfully.

Cheers

Alex

June 6th, 2013 1:59pm

Hello I have the same issue. I ran the ETL script from Travis Wright and it also failed.

PS C:\ETL> .\Run-ETL.ps1
Starting the Extract_SCSM Job...
Waiting 30 seconds
Extract_SCSM Job Status: Running
Waiting 30 seconds
Waiting 30 seconds
Waiting 30 seconds
Extract_SCSM Job Status: Not Started
Starting the Extract_DW_SCSM Job...
Waiting 30 seconds
Extract_DW_SCSM Job Status: Running
Waiting 30 seconds
Extract_DW_SCSM Job Status: Running
Waiting 30 seconds
Extract_DW_SCSM Job Status: Not Started
Exiting since the job is in an unexpected status

When i run the job Transform.Common only the following two modules are failing TransformEntityRelatesToEntityFact and TransformEntityManagedTypeFact.
The error given is"cannot find either column "etl" or the user-defined function or aggregate "ETL.CanContinueExecution", or the name is ambiguous."

November 25th, 2013 6:29pm

Hi,

Any one got the solution for this issue? I am getting same issue. I am using SCSM 2012 SP1 for FIM 2010 reporting. I have provided the error for your reference.

I am not getting any data in my FIM Reports. Transform.Common Job is Failed everytime. Module which is failing is "TransformEntityRelatesToEntityFact" & "TransformEntityManagedTypeFact".

Log Name:      Operations Manager
Source:        Data Warehouse
Date:          1/6/2014 10:05:17 AM
Event ID:      33502
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      ******
Description:
ETL Module Execution failed:
 ETL process type: Transform
 Batch ID: 19151
 Module name: TransformEntityRelatesToEntityFact
 Message: Cannot find either column "ETL" or the user-defined function or aggregate "ETL.CanContinueExecution", or the name is ambiguous.

Stack:    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader()
   at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Warehouse.Utility.SqlHelper.ExecuteReader(SqlConnection sqlCon, CommandType cmdType, String cmdText, SqlParameter[] parameters)
   at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Warehouse.Etl.StoredProcedure.Execute(IXPathNavigable config, Watermark wm, DomainUser sourceConnectionUser, DomainUser destinationConnectionUser)
   at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Warehouse.Etl.TransformModule.Execute(IXPathNavigable config, Watermark wm, DomainUser sourceConnectionUser, DomainUser destinationConnectionUser, Int32 batchSize)
   at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Warehouse.Etl.TransformModule.Execute(IXPathNavigable config, Watermark wm, DomainUser sourceConnectionUser, DomainUser destinationConnectionUser)
   at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Etl.ETLModule.OnDataItem(DataItemBase dataItem, DataItemAcknowledgementCallback acknowledgedCallback, Object acknowledgedState, DataItemProcessingCompleteCallback completionCallback, Object completionState)

January 6th, 2014 10:47am

The following query resolved my problem. Please use at your own risk.

USE [DWRepository]
GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO

CREATE FUNCTION [etl].[CanContinueExecution] (
@transformName VARCHAR(256),
@executionStartTime DATETIME
)
RETURNS BIT
AS BEGIN
DECLARE @canContinue BIT = 1,
@executionTimeLimit INT = 30 -- minutes

-- do not continue if the time we have consumed is
-- more or equal to the amount of time that we are
-- allowed to take for this batch
IF(ABS(DATEDIFF(mi, @executionStartTime, GETUTCDATE())) >= @executionTimeLimit)
BEGIN
SET @canContinue = 0
END

RETURN @canContinue;
END

GO 

• Proposed as answer by Enayathulla Tuesday, January 07, 2014 7:41 AM
January 6th, 2014 4:39pm

The following query resolved my problem. Please use at your own risk.

USE [DWRepository]
GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO

CREATE FUNCTION [etl].[CanContinueExecution] (
@transformName VARCHAR(256),
@executionStartTime DATETIME
)
RETURNS BIT
AS BEGIN
DECLARE @canContinue BIT = 1,
@executionTimeLimit INT = 30 -- minutes

-- do not continue if the time we have consumed is
-- more or equal to the amount of time that we are
-- allowed to take for this batch
IF(ABS(DATEDIFF(mi, @executionStartTime, GETUTCDATE())) >= @executionTimeLimit)
BEGIN
SET @canContinue = 0
END

RETURN @canContinue;
END

GO 

• Proposed as answer by Enayathulla Tuesday, January 07, 2014 7:41 AM
January 6th, 2014 4:39pm

Thanks for your Reply. It resolved my issue. I don't why this function is not created during the SCSM 2012 SP1 installtion.
January 7th, 2014 10:44am

Thank you Dimitar it sorted out my problem as well (which was identical to Enayathulla). 

Carol

January 8th, 2014 10:43am

I`m glad it worked. This seems to be a common problem for many installations.
January 8th, 2014 6:25pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics