scom 2012 R2 Traps

Hello i have one question about traps.i have testet 2007,2012 ,2012 sp1 and now 2012 r2 but i have allways problem with traps.i have some networ device x sending me traps:

how can i get in scom this traps? network device monitored fine.simple snmp get works 

October 29th, 2013 1:39pm

Hi,

I would like share this article with you:

SCOM 2012 configuration as a Trap Reciever

http://www.systemcentercentral.com/forums-archive/topic/scom-2012-configuration-as-a-trap-reciever/

SNMP Trap monitor

http://www.blackops.ca/cms/blog/?tag=snmp

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 31st, 2013 2:57pm

Hi Giorgi,

In order to receive traps from a network device you must:

1) first discover the network device in SCOM so it shows up as network device in the Networkmonitoring node

When it does SCOM will automatically have started a SNMP trap listener on the management server you selected as monitoring node during the discovery. You can check by running this in a CMD prompt "netstat -an | findstr :162"  there should be one line like this

Do not start the windows OS SNMP trap service. It will cause a conflict with the SCOM SNMP trap listener.

Now you just need to create a rule of monitor to receive you traps

2) Start with a simple alert that triggers on all traps (then you can be more specific when you know it works)

Next

Select "Node" as target

Next

Leave the OID field empty

Next and done

3) Create an Alert view for the traps. The view must be targetted at the "Node" class.

Wait a couple of minuets and then ensure some traps are send. Unless there are firewall issues the traps should now appear in SCOM.

When they do you can start building more specific rules and monitors for each trap scenario.

br

Lars

November 1st, 2013 9:09am

Hi,

The first link suggests that SCOM 2012 doesn't work as a trap receiver and the second link is for configuring SCOM 2007. I would like to know how this is marked as answer. Are you saying that we should just use another product? I've seen too many posts like this where Moderators are marking "Answers" that are hardly answered.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 10th, 2014 6:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics