schedule a task on a W2003 server to run on a w2008 server is slow when users are accessing w2008
I have a really winner of an issue. I have a scheduled task that executes a batch file on the w2003 server BUT the batch file contents is executing a program on the W2008 server. The program and data are on the w2008 server. When I have some end users accessing the files on the W2008 server, the task takes 3 times as long as when there is no end user. I know that if I schedule the task on the W2008 server it flys. Does anyone know how to speed up a scheduled task that starts on one server but accessing the resources on another server?
September 8th, 2011 2:09pm

Hi, My guess is that you are referring to slowness with a job that is accessing a mapped network drive or UNC share. This slowness is due to difficulties with older operating systems accessing shares when they are hosted on a system that is running SMB 2.0. To Disable SMB 2.0: sc config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi sc config mrxsmb20 start= disabled If you upgrade the 2003 system and want to re-enable SMB 2.0: sc config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi sc config mrxsmb20 start= auto If this isn't the case, what exactly is the slow job doing? -- Mike Burr Technology
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2011 3:00pm

Hi, Thanks for posting here. After reading you post I understand that you are facing a slow performance issue on Windows Server 2003 when attempt to execute a program where stored and shared on a remote Windows Server 2008 fileserver . If misunderstand please let me know. Have you also tried to manually execute remote program file with the same way that defined in batch file? will get same phenomenon ? You mentioned that this issue will occur only when these remote program and data files were also been locked by other users at same time, this made me believe that the program might not been designed or optimized for multi user environment perhaps. Will you also encounter performance issue when attempt to transfer files between these two server host via SMB protocol? Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 10th, 2011 4:06am

Hi Mike; Thanks for the suggestion. The batch file does map two drives to the W2008 Server( shared directory) and then executing the program, which resides on the w2008 server as well as the data. This is a new server and not an upgrade from W2003 server. If I execute the same batch file as a scheduled task on the W2008 server it runs fast and there is another user accessing the files. If I execute the same batch file as a schedule task on the W2003 server it runs slow and there is anotehr user accessing the files. If there is no one accessing the files on the W2008 server, the process runs fast either started from the W2003 or W2008 server. I will see if SMB2.0 is enabled on the W2008 server and if it is disable it and see what happens.
September 13th, 2011 11:14am

Good Morning and thanks for reply; You are correct that the program and data is on the W2008 server yet the batch file that is a scheduled task is from the W2003 server. If I schedule the task on the W2008 server it runs fast, so I am thinking that it is something going on between the w2003 server and the w2008 server. I do map two drives to the W2008 server in the batch file. The P is mapped to a shared directory and U is mapped to a subdirectory down one tree level. Here is the contents of the batch file. SET COBSW=-F+B2 SET COBDIR=P:\programs\;U:\ SET PHXDIR=P:\ftpdata\ SET RPTDIR=P:\USERS\FUNDUSER\REPORTS\ SET NSCCDIR=P:\users\funduser\nscc\ SET SECDIR=P:\SECURITY\ SET ACFDIR=P:\ftpdata\ SET MPACSDIR= net use P: \\Phx01w2k8r201\Shared_Data net use U: \\Phx01w2k8r201\Shared_Data\mfappsrv5.1\bin SET PATH=%COBDIR%;%PATH% U:\run sbdexbeg
September 13th, 2011 11:21am

Hi, I noticed that you have already perform the following test: 1. If I execute the same batch file as a scheduled task on the W2008 server it runs fast and there is another user accessing the files. 2. If I execute the same batch file as a schedule task on the W2003 server it runs slow and there is anotehr user accessing the files. 3. If there is no one accessing the files on the W2008 server, the process runs fast either started from the W2003 or W2008 server. As we known, when someone is read a file, others can read it and edit it. But when someone is editing it, other can only open it as "read mode" and wait. So, i guess in the test 1, another user have not edited the files. But in the test 2, the files has been holded by the another user, so the batch file (Scheduled Task) needed wait for releasing. To narrow down this issue, please peform the following test: 1. Run the task on W2003 when another user was just "read" the affected files. 2. Run the Task on W2003 when another user was "edit" the affected files. Thanks.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 15th, 2011 10:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics