s3cap.sys and storflt.sys removed by SP2
Hi,At the end of May I rolled out SP2 via WSUS to all of my 2008 servers. One of these is a virtual server and on this one the files s3cap.sys and storflt.sys were removed and replaced by vms3cap.sys and vmstorfl.sys respectively. This in turn caused errors in my backup (using Symantec Backup Exec 12.5). I've had a case open with them since trying to troubleshoot this. They've been unable to replicate the error and so (in a bid to prove to them that it was their software at fault)I've built another 2008 virtual server and upgraded it to SP2. But I can't replicate it either. On the new box the vm files are created and the registry changed to use these, but the old files are left in place. As a work around I can just copy these old files onto the problematic box, but it's still annoying me that I can't replicate the problem.So, my questions are: Which behaviour is correct - is SP2 meant to remove the old files or leave them in place?Is there any explanation as to why a different thing happened on each server? and...If the files are meant to be removed, shouldn't the VSS writer have updated the file list to reflect this?Any ideas gratefully received!
July 16th, 2009 3:27pm

Hello kelv1979, Q: Which behavior is correct - is SP2 meant to remove the old files or leave them in place? If the files are meant to be removed, shouldn't the VSS writer have updated the file list to reflect this? A: Based on the research, after we apply the Windows Server 2008 Service pack 2 on a Windows Server 2008, all the system drive files (s3cap.sys, storflt.sys, wms3cap.sys, vmstorfl.sys) still exist under the path "%systemroot%\System32\Drivers" on Windows Server 2008 SP2-based virtual machine. These files wont be removed after applying Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2. Meanwhile, VSS writer has nothing to do with these system drive files. Q: Is there any explanation as to why a different thing happened on each server? A: The possible reason why that 2 files lost may be due to the uncompleted updating of that files during the procedure. Hope the issue will be resolved soon.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 17th, 2009 2:02pm

Thanks David,That's very useful. I'm guessing then that there was an incomplete or interupted application of SP2. I'll copy the files over from another install and leave it at that.King RegardsKelvin
July 20th, 2009 3:25pm

Hello Kelvin, Glad to hear it was helpful for you. If you have any question about Windows Server system, welcome to the TechNet forum again. For your more reference: Windows Server 2008 SP2 http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/sp2.aspx Thanks and Regards.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 21st, 2009 5:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics