running checkdisk on server 2003 san volumes
I can't seem to get checkdisk to run on my san volumes. It works fine on my c drive but doesn't run on other volumes. No error message. It just doesn' run. It sets up correctly as if it would run but nothing happens when I reboot. Not sure what to do to fix.
March 15th, 2009 5:32pm

hi there,are you trying this on large volumes ? if so i have seen issue with the large volume with chkdsk. please make sure you try to run on smaller volumeare you able to use any of the switches provided by chkdsk.please disable AV and test the same behavior and also firewall if it is enabled please do disable it and scan the volume.make sure that you give appropriate rights on the volume to run chkdsk.sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 16th, 2009 7:45am

Hi ronio, I agree with Sainath. Do you encounter the issue when you try running the chkdsk on the large volume which has more than 4,194,303 files? If so, this problem may occur because the Chkdsk utility may not find references to all the security IDs if there are more than 4,194,303 files on the volume. Therefore, the undiscovered security descriptors are reset.If this is the point, we recommend that you try to apply the appropriate service pack or hotfix on the problematic computer that is currently vulnerable to the loss of security descriptors. Please view and request the hotfix that is mentioned in the following KB article to see if it can fix the issue.The CHKDSK utility incorrectly identifies and deletes in-use security descriptorshttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/831374/ Suggestion: 1. We recommend that you apply the hotfix to the problematic server in non-business time, meanwhile it is also recommended that you backup all the data on the SAN system because it is for production use. 2. Install latest chkdsk hotfix as mentioned in the following KB. The CHKDSK utility incorrectly identifies and deletes in-use security descriptorshttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/831374/ 3. Make sure that nobody can access the drive when you want to run chkdsk on. 4. Re-run the following chkdsk command line to see if it works. chkdsk /Fchkdsk /Rautochk Hope it helps.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
March 16th, 2009 1:31pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics