routing IP traffic between two NIC's installed in the same server
Ok, I know this is a simple question but I just have a mental block and cannot figure it out or find an answer. I want to run a packet sniffer on all my network traffic.I want to examine the traffic just before it leaves and enters the internal network.I have a Windows 2003 machine with two NIC s installed but for the life of me I cannot think of how to route that traffic between them and out to my network firewall. I want to pass the traffic from the network into one NIC with a fixed internal IP address 192.168.10.X to a second NIC with a fixed internal IP address 192.168.10.X. within the same machine and then out to the gateway. I am not interested in any filtering functions, I want my gateway firewall to retain that function I am only interest in examining the traffic. LAN > NIC > NIC > Gateway > Internet How would I setup Routing and Remote Access to accomplish this. Sorry to be so dense but can anyone point me in the right direction. I would be very greatful.
June 24th, 2008 8:46am

You can only route traffic from one subnet to another. If both NICs are in the same IP subnet you can bridge them but you cannot route between them. To do what you want to do you would need to make the internal NIC of the RRAS server the default gateway for your LAN, then set up RRAS to route this traffic to your firewall. The router-to-firewall segment (like a mini DMZ) would need to be in its own IP subnet (different from the LAN subnet). You would also need an extra route on the firewall to forward traffic for the internal subnet to the RRAS router (since the firewall no longer has an interface in that segment).Note that RRASwould be set up as a LAN router only. egInternet |public IP firewall {static route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.20.2}192.168.20.1| 192.168.20.2 dg192.168.20.1 RRAS 192.168.10.254 dg blank| LAN machines192.168.10.x dg 192.168.10.254Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 25th, 2008 10:39am

Bill,Thanks so much for your assistance that is exactly what I needed!Best,Robert
June 25th, 2008 6:00pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics