routing
I need to setup a test environment. I have a Windows 2003 server with 4 network cards. nic1 is getting an IP address from my ISP dynamically. nic2 is statically assigned 10.85.32.1. nic3 is statically assigned 10.85.64.1. nic4 is statically assigned 10.85.0.1. My L2 switch has a VLAN for each subnet. I can ping across each VLAN but I cannot get out to the Net. I would like all traffic to go out the 10.85.0.1 card. How can this be done? I tried a few routing protocols but I guess I don't know how to set it up. Thanks.
March 21st, 2011 10:08pm

I think I'm missing something here. If you want this host to access the internet you need to have the default route pointing to the next-hop router via the interface that was assigned an address by your ISP. I'm not sure what you mean by "I would like all traffic to go out the 10.85.0.1 card." Posting the routing table from this host would probably be helpful. "netstat -nr"Matt W. CCNP, CCSP, CCDA, RHCT, MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, A+
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 22nd, 2011 1:32pm

Aside from the confusion regarding the 10.85.0.1 card, you havent mentioned that whether or not you have RRAS installed. Have you configured anything on this server to perform routing? If this server is going to be a router, other routers in the organization, including the edge router (internet router) will need to know about this router. So there seems to be a bit more work that needs to be done. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
March 22nd, 2011 7:44pm

Hi, Thanks for posting here. I suspect that you might want to set this multihomed host to access internet via nic1 if I correctly understand your requirement. In this case, you may just need setting default gateway entry for nic1 only and leveling this entry blank for other NICs or setting lower metric value for the 0.0.0.0 route entry which interface entry is the IP address of NIC1: Default Gateway Configuration for Multihomed Computers http://support.microsoft.com/kb/157025 Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 23rd, 2011 12:04am

I figured it out. The problem was I need a static route from my Windows 2003 Server router to my Linksys router, and then back again.
March 26th, 2011 4:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics