repair registry in server'03
I've seen a few 3rd-party reg-cleaners out there on the good 'ole inner-web, but afraid to take the leap in fear that they might end up creating more problems that they might solve. Are there any MS supported tools to repair my SOFTWARE registry file that has grown(corrupted?) its way to over 120MB ? I'm seeing this error at boot-up; "The system has reached the maximum size allowed for the system part of the registry. Additional storage requests will be ignored." ...overall performance seems to be OK, but kinda afraid to make any further changes/installs before this issue can be resolved. Server is actually SBS'03 fully patched and updated, but fairly certain this error isn't specific to just SBS. thx in advance
October 26th, 2010 11:46pm

Hi, We do not recommend using any registry cleaner tools. Sometimes this will cause unexpected and unrecoverable issues. Have you backed the registry before doing that? If not, I am afraid that we cannot restore the registry. Now I suggest referring to the following article to troubleshoot this issue: http://blogs.technet.com/b/yongrhee/archive/2009/07/24/how-to-troubleshoot-windows-low-on-registry-space-the-system-has-reached-the-maximum-size-allowed-for-the-system-part-of-the-registry-additional-storage-requests-will-be-ignored.aspx If the issue persists, I am afraid that you might need to boot from the Windows Server 2003 disk and repair the entire system. Tim Quan TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 28th, 2010 1:31am

thx for the insight/tips I tried the UserProfile Hive Cleaner instructions, but no luck. The error still pops up at re-boot, before anyone logs on to the server. The one that item that stands out is the size of the SOFTWRE registry file located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\ is 147MB...The SYSTEM file is only 5MB I agree that those reg-cleaners are like playing russian-roulette, and have no desire to head down that path I'm unsure how to tell what specifically is taking up all the room in that SOFTWARE file or how else to proceedthx, ~~Robb
October 28th, 2010 3:02am

Hi, Thank you for the quick reply. If you cannot fix the error according the article, I am afraid you have to repair or reinstall the system (backup important files on your computer first). In the future, please also remember to backup registry before you edit it. Tim Quan TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 28th, 2010 4:37am

ok then, my last resort will be burning one of my TechNet support-incidents to see if this issue is within the realm of being solved handily w/out having to reinstall the OS. thx for the effort, tho...very appreciatedthx, ~~Robb
October 30th, 2010 12:46am

Hi, Thank you for the reply. If the issue is resolved, could you please update the post to let me know how you resolve it? Tim Quan TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 1st, 2010 3:56am

As stated earlier, I will contact MS directly for phone-support using one of my TechNet support-incidents and see if we can come up w/ a viable solution. If the only real solution is to re-install the OS from scratch, I seriously doubt that I would call that a solution, tho.thx, ~~Robb
November 1st, 2010 3:18pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics