remote desktop services has taken too long to load the user configuration

Hello,

A few weeks back I swapped out our old Server 2003 domain controller with a new server 2012 R2 domain controller.  Everything has been fine for a few weeks.  Then yesterday I got a call that one of our users could not access a file on the file server.  I am in a different city and was able to see the files on the server and access most of them, but could not access the one in question either.  I tried to RDP into the DC, it prompted me for username and password and then got stuck on "securing remote connection."  Finally after an hour I had someone go downstairs and reboot the machine, however the machine just sat at the screen saying "reboot" for an hour and we finally had to hard shutdown the machine.  Once it came back up all was good and I could RDP into the machine.  Now that I'm in the machine I see all kinds of 20498 and 20499 errors in the event viewer around that time period:

20499 - remote desktop services has taken too long to load the user configuration from server <my DC> for user admin

20498 - remove desktop services has taken too long to complete the client connection

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this or somewhere that I can look at this?  My DC is pretty slim, only roles it has is DC and DNS.  I installed the machine on Dec 11th and the errors started back on Dec 15th, but it wasn't until a few days ago that I couldn't remote into it.  Thanks

January 6th, 2015 2:39pm

Hi,

From your issue it seems that you are going through with slow logon issue and for this you can try below workaround might helpful in your case.
Add a new DWORD (32-bit) Value in registry, name it as DisableTaskOffload and set value data to 1 on below mention path.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Apart also check this link for troubleshooting slow logon issue,

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 7th, 2015 8:57am

I found that work around on another thread, but the problem is the log on is not slow at all.  It is just as fast as every other RDP login session I've ever had.  I see this issue listed all over forums on the internet, but no one has found an actual reason behind it.  I know it states its due to a slow login, but 1-2 seconds for a login is not slow.  I wish Microsoft would address this issue because it seems to only occur on Server 2012 R2
January 7th, 2015 2:00pm

Hi,

Is there any update for your case? Do you need any other assistance?

Thanks.

January 15th, 2015 7:50am

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Windows Server Forum.

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as Answered as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up.

BTW,  wed love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks for your Support & understanding.

Regards.

January 27th, 2015 3:34am

I was never able to find a solution.  Scouring the internet I found a large number of other users experiencing the same issue with no solution.  It doesn't seem to be causing an issue so I've moved on.  Thanks for everyones help.
January 27th, 2015 2:04pm

I'm experiencing the same issue, intermittently, when remotely using two of our eight SBS 2003 network computers via Remote Web Workplace. The two SBS computers are Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit machines.

Intermittently, the RWW connection is lost and I'm returned to the RWW page with the message "VBScript Remote Desktop Disconnected...an internal error has occurred.

When the issue occurs, the Event logs on both SBS computers contain the Event ID 20499, Remote Desktop Services has taken too long to load the user configuration from server XXXXX. The event is logged at the time the RWW connection is lost.

As the issue occurs with RDP sessions to Windows Server 2012 R2 (based on reports from others) and, in my case, SBS 2003, perhaps the common element is Windows 8.1.

February 13th, 2015 1:56pm

I have this exact problem on a home server (Proliant Gen8)

Running windows 8.1 every single time i log in i get a new entry in the log file

Remote Desktop Services has taken too long to load the user configuration from server \\Edit for user Edit
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager" Guid="{C76BAA63-AE81-421C-B425-340B4B24157F}" />

There's nothing wrong with the login at all

I log in in less than a tenth of a second

Its running a HP 1Gb 2-Port 332i with both ports active

Well there's a third port also active for ilo but the os doesnt get to see that..

Latest Broadcom Drivers 17-12-14

Its driving me nuts filling the log file up all of the time

I have been searching for a fix for months and found nothing

• Edited by Shonkyo Sunday, April 19, 2015 8:43 PM
April 19th, 2015 8:43pm

Same issue here, am using SBS 2008 as DNS and AD server and TS is running on server 2012 R2.

My logs are filled with the same error set. ID 2049 especially.

Tried the link but still have issues.

Any one found any solution?

Thanks,
Sriram A Das

May 5th, 2015 3:06am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics