remote access using VPN
Hi,I'm new with windows server and I'm sure my question will be a very easy one for you to answer.I have 2 stores, My windows server 2008 is install on a machine into the store1. My store2 is able to see all the computer, printers in my store1 using a VPN acces on my Linksys router.Store1 is having : 192.168.1.xxx, Store2 is having 192.168.10.xxx (everything is working perfectly)All computers from store1 is able to access the windows serverI'm not able to see the server from store2, Do I have to add somewhere into windows server 192.168.10.1 to make store2 local on the machine?Thanks,Jonathan
August 29th, 2008 2:56am

Hi! One quick solutionmight be modifying the hosts file. In 2003, the file is located at "c:\windows\system32drivers\etc" but you could just use search and type "hosts". The file looks like this (i added the needed IP for example): # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.## This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.## This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one# space.## Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.## For example:## 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host 127.0.0.1 localhost192.168.1.xxx store1Henry Eklf :: Just one random IT-guy more.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 29th, 2008 8:39am

Hello, Yes, Henry provides a quick solutionto your question. However, I'd like to know what is the symptom of NOT able to see the server from store 2 (site?). Please answer the following questions for clear understanding of the issue: 1. Can you access the server from store 2 via IP address such as file sharing on the server (if firewall permits)? 2. Can you access the server from store 2 via FQDN? 3. If possible, could you explain the topology of the network and name resolving settings (if have)?
August 29th, 2008 1:50pm

Thanks all for your anwsers, "1. Can you access the server from store 2 via IP address such as file sharing on the server (if firewall permits)?"no I cannot see the server from store 2, not via IP or via workgroup computer"2. Can you access the server from store 2 via FQDN?"I never use this... I don't know alot about networking... I currently use a Linux serverwith SME Server but we want change all this system with a windows server because I think it will be more user-frendly when it is time to add new hard drives, configure new users... and I think it will be much more options with windows server 2008 than SME Server.Is it a good move?I've done what Heklo says and it is working!Thanks,Jonathan
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 29th, 2008 5:35pm

Good that you got it working!I have had similar problems and at least on my environmentsthey areoften firewall based problems. So if you want to get the bottom of it, i would suggest you take a closer look to firewall rules.About the Linux/Windows thing...well, in my opinion both of the systems work well if you know what you are doing, but windows is more "user-friendly" at the beginningand easier touse.Henry Eklf :: Just one random IT-guy more.
September 1st, 2008 10:13am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics