registry edit has been disabled by your administrator
for this i have tried gpedit from "run", but there is no listing of "disable registry" in user configuration>adminitrative template>system, kindly advice how to solev this as i am also not able to activate my anitvirus and task manager.
May 14th, 2010 7:04am

Run gpedit.msc then look for the setting "Prevent access to registry editing tools" under User Configuration>Administrative Templates>System.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 14th, 2010 7:12am

thanks but its set to not configured and still i am getting the same error
May 14th, 2010 7:25am

Hi, Please run the following command in the CMD prompt command line. REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f Best Regards, Vincent Hu
May 14th, 2010 7:26am

Vincent i restarted but still no change
May 14th, 2010 7:28am

Hi, It seems that your computer was infected by virus, the registry may be changed back by virus, we need to kill the virus first. If you can’t start antivirus software on this computer, you may try to unplug the hard drive from this computer and then connect to another computer to scan your disk and then kill the virus. By the way, I would like to let you know that we recommend that you perform a reinstallation after you got virus on your computer. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
May 14th, 2010 7:36am

vincent its my 3 rd re-installation of windows but still the error is same. Have formated the whole system. Its a dell vostro 1500, following are the issues: - when i start in safe mode there is an error code with blue screen. - and in normal mode there is no task manager, no regedit working. the error says they have been disabled by the administrator where in the account itself is administartor account - even when i try to run a program by slecting "run as" it say i cannot log in as administartor with blank password, but i had not given any admin password when i installed windows. - even i was able to install spybot and update it with latest updates but the issue is i am not able to start the spyboit software with which i can try and elimanate some infections. your advice needed
May 14th, 2010 7:44am

Hi , How is your installaiton being made ? a) through cd b) through image if image , i would check with cd installation
May 14th, 2010 7:45am

its through the dell provided OS cd.
May 14th, 2010 7:47am

Can you test the OS installation on another hardware ? , So as soon as you complete the installaiton of OS and make first login --> you are have problem mentioned above , is this correct or am i missing something ?
May 14th, 2010 7:51am

correct i have this immediatly as i installed anti virus , which is the first thing i am doing after windows installation, but before everything i tried taks manager and regedit, they are disabled from the start.
May 14th, 2010 7:53am

please if any one can suggest a solution , it will be great, as it is cripplling my machine big time.
May 14th, 2010 7:55am

Download the ISO for a 180 day trial from Microsoft and install from that. That'll tell you if it's a problem with the media. You won't be able to keep that installation though since your product key is OEM.
May 14th, 2010 7:57am

can u please give me detail of downloading this ISO?
May 14th, 2010 7:59am

What OS?
May 14th, 2010 8:00am

i am not having the knowlegde of this ISO, please let me know will this solve my issues, is this the embedded developer resource kit for win XP
May 14th, 2010 8:03am

Windows XP
May 14th, 2010 8:04am

Hi, As you are using a Dell computer, I recommend that you contact Dell support, you may get a further support from Dell. Thanks for your understanding. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
May 14th, 2010 8:14am

This is the Windows Server forum so you should probably post this in the XP forum. I don't think you can get a trial of Windows XP. I was thinking you were trying to run a server OS although strange it would be OEM'd on a Vostro. Any Dell XP CD of the same edition will work - do you have any more? It can be of any SP level.
May 14th, 2010 8:18am

dear all, what are your recommendations, is it repairable from what till now i have told you? i have also tried some other windows xp cd but seems no good. Is there a chance of corrupt boot files which can have this effect? thanks
May 14th, 2010 8:22am

If you've tried other installation media but get the same result then it's probably not the media. Make sure it's completely disconnected from any network, boot to the Windows XP CD, choose not to repair the installation, delete the partition, create a new one, format the disk, install clean. As soon as Windows XP loads the desktop click Start>Run and type regedit. Tell us if you still get the error.
May 14th, 2010 8:29am

Thanks Cliff . Fantastic . I have been working for two weeks to get back my task manager . You did it. cool... thanks . Haris
June 4th, 2010 9:46am

Don't worry follow steps: Go to run>type "gpedit.msc">User Configuration>Administrative Templates> now click on System not on plus sign> right side of the windows you would see "Prevent access to registry editing tool" double click on it> Now, you would see there are three radio buttons> click on "Disable"> click on apply button then ok. Now use Regedit Command from Run and enjoy it :). If it doesn't work, you need to restart your computer Thanks :)
December 27th, 2010 10:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics