recommended order for running clean-up wizard in wsus upstream / replica hierarchy

Hi :)

Is there anywhere documented recommended order for running clean-up wizard in wsus upstream / replica hierarchy ?

Should I first run on Upstream and than on Replica or vice versa ?

I've found on this blog http://www.madanmohan.com/2010/10/sms-wsus-synchronization-failed.html that clean-up should be run always from bottom (replica) to the top (upstream).

Also, is there any news for WSUS 4 :) ?

Best regards

May 13th, 2012 10:10am

Hi,

YES,you'd better run the WSUS Server Clean-up Wizard from the bottom of the WSUS hierarchy to the top and NEVER from the top down.

If you do it vice versa,the clean-up wizard may delete some updates that wanted by the replica server, it may lead to updates failed to sync from upstream.Although it is not compulsory,we always do it from the downstrem to upstream.

Regards,
Clarence
Forum Support
Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 14th, 2012 6:27am

YES,you'd better run the WSUS Server Clean-up Wizard from the bottom of the WSUS hierarchy to the top and NEVER from the top down.

I totally disagree! The Server Cleanup Wizard should be run on the upstream server first, to ensure that updates that will be deleted are no longer synchronized to the downstream server. Furthermore, if you run the SCW on the downstream server first, and it deletes updates that have had status changes on the upstream server that need to be replicated, this may throw a synchronization error on the downstream server. The downstream server should NEVER be intentionally put in a configuration that makes it different from the upstream server, and running the SCW on a downstream server before running it on an upstream server would do exactly that.

For more details on my thoughts about how to use the Server Cleanup Wizard in a replica environment, please view my webcast from Sep 2010 Using the WSUS Server Cleanup Wizard - Expert Tips and Tricks".

May 15th, 2012 5:18am

Hello Lawrence,

Sorry for bring this older topic up again but I think it is very important. I found this topic after researching in the internet. I am a bit new to WSUS for larger environments, I took over in my company a larger WSUS environment with one Upstream Server (Win2012) and 34 Replica Downstream Servers (Win2008R2 and WIN2012R2) and I am planning to have a regular maintenance plan. Microsoft does write in technet cleanup from bottom to top, I believe more your theory which says top to bottom. I tried also to take a look at your mentioned webcast but this seems to be not available anymore on the solarwinds site. Are these tips and tricks from you still available anywhere and why is Microsoft recommending the vice versa order in cleanup?

BTW:I detected some sync issues (TDS Parser Error) at the Downstream Servers and also found some tips in the net regarding this (delete hidden updates in the DB directly). Is this issue known to you and what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Ben

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 25th, 2015 4:46am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics