recommendation for new AD system
we are migrating from netware to a ms active directory solution for our K-12 school district. We have a brand new intel modular server that we will be putting it on. Does anyone have any general recommendations as to how I would divvy up the servers? What I am looking for is it best for example for data storage for home directories, common shared directories, msi installers, network programs, etc... Would there be any benefit to breaking out say the students home directories and putting them on 1 server and then putting the staff on another server? This was a suggestion by someone but Im not sure about the reasoning of it. Or does it make sense for "load balancing" between students and staff. I would like to setup clustering for these as well if that makes any difference. any suggestions would be appreciated.
November 29th, 2010 1:06pm

Hello, if i understand you correct you do not have much knowledge about Microsoft Active directory domains? Then this project should better be done together with a consultant or Microsoft support. You should use at least for a domain 2 Domain Controllers/DNS servers/Global Catalog server(this 3 roles/functions can all be on one machine) per domain and one member server as file server, 2 are needed if you talk about using a clustered environment. User data and files should not be on a DC, a DC should only do it's basic job AD/DNS/GC and don't run any application(Exchange/SQL etc) or websites.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 29th, 2010 1:22pm

Hello, if i understand you correct you do not have much knowledge about Microsoft Active directory domains? Then this project should better be done together with a consultant or Microsoft support. You should use at least for a domain 2 Domain Controllers/DNS servers/Global Catalog server(this 3 roles/functions can all be on one machine) per domain and one member server as file server, 2 are needed if you talk about using a clustered environment. User data and files should not be on a DC, a DC should only do it's basic job AD/DNS/GC and don't run any application(Exchange/SQL etc) or websites. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. Ok but is it reasonable to split a group of users data between 2 different servers for the sole purpose of "load balancing" or not forcing everyone to be reading and writing from the same server?
November 29th, 2010 2:15pm

Hello, "Ok but is it reasonable to split a group of users data between 2 different servers for the sole purpose of "load balancing" or not forcing everyone to be reading and writing from the same server?" About how many users do you talk, if the amount is not that high a single server can also provide you the functionality. And how big is the chance that all usersread/write from the server together? Clustering is used to create high availability, in case one of the servers fails. Additional the SAN behind the cluster should be devided to the physical nodes and best option is to have separate SANs for each cluster node.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
November 29th, 2010 3:39pm

we have about 325 staff and ~2500 students. Yeah, we will only have one san probably, it is integrated into the intel modular server. I have no hard data to back it up but my guess would be not more than 1/4 could be reading/writing at once.
November 29th, 2010 3:42pm

Hello, with that amount of users/data i would think about a clustering solution adn split the data between 2 SANs. We have roundabout 800 users and use 2 SANs(one SAN for each node) for the user data with clustering(2 nodes) and this works fine. User network run on 100mbit and server backbone is 1Gbit up to 6Gbit for our blades. Also backup is separated, first to disk, then from disk to tape, otherwise we run into time problems for full backup on the weekend direct to tape.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
November 29th, 2010 4:06pm

In article <eb425942-fcbc-4063-bff4-d2bcf6317602 @communitybridge.codeplex.com>, MattMaj says... Hello, if i understand you correct you do not have much knowledge about Micros oft Active directory domains? Then this project should better be done toget her with a consultant or Microsoft support. You should use at least for a domain 2 Domain Controllers/DNS servers/G lobal Catalog server(this 3 roles/functions can all be on one machine) pe r domain and one member server as file server, 2 are needed if you talk abo ut using a clustered environment. User data and files should not be on a DC, a DC should only do it's bas ic job AD/DNS/GC and don't run any application(Exchange/SQL etc) or web sites. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. Ok but is it reasonable to split a group of users data between 2 differen t servers for the sole purpose of "load balancing" or not forcing everyone to be reading and writing from the same server? With group policies and organizational units, you can do what you want. We have customers with many physical locations, with servers spread around, and we use OU's and GPO's to manage where their files are stored, so that they don't have to wait as the profile/documents are loaded across a distant server, they point at their local servers. I do agree with others, if you can't already answer these questions you are doing a serious disservice to your school system as well as the tax payers funding if you attempt to manage/build this yourself - hire professionals and verify their ability before you hire them. You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that. Trust yourself. spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)
November 30th, 2010 6:58am

i do understand those things. im just looking for best practices. We do actually have a group coming in to assist with the implementation.
November 30th, 2010 8:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics