read-only domain controllers
I have been upgrading our network from 2003 to 2008 server, standard 32-bit, no R2 yet. Most of the servers have been clean-installed, all but one of 6. There are 3 other servers still on 2003 - an Exchange 2003 server, a SQL 2000 server running on Win2K3 server, and a file server. I have set up 3 RODCs in the branches - the first 2 seemed to go just fine, but the 3rd one seems to be down - I can't ping it or "see" it on the network, cannot access it in any way, yet when I go to the office and to the server, it is up and running, and seems to be all well and good. I made sure the Windows firewall was shut off, and still, it just doesn't show up. Any idea what gives? I will feel reassy stupid when I figure out that it is something like a wrong name or ip address, but if that were it, the dcpromo would have failed, right? Everything appears to be working fine, and I can ping other hosts on the remote network so I know that the network is up. Any ideas would be most sincerely appreciated. Flux
July 12th, 2011 2:05am

So, I wouldnt assoicate the fact that this is an RODC or any applications that the server is running at the moment until you rule out all possible network issues. Dont assume Application layer issues until you work through common network config issues. Can you ping this server (by IP) while you are on the same subnet (at the remote office)? Have you looked at the results from IPCONFIG /all and compared them to another working computer at the remote office (feel free to post the results). Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 12th, 2011 3:40am

Hello, ICMP protocol can be blocked in the internal firewall, so ICMP will not work, by default the computer browser service is disabled so network browsing is not available, additional NetBios over TCP/IP has to be enabled on the NIC. If you can't go to the location is there an RODC admin created that can logon to the server and control the NIC settings etc.?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 12th, 2011 9:07am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics