question about using secedit.exe to apply password policy
Hello, I'm using secedit.exe to apply a password policy as part of an unattended installation of server 2008... the secedit command runs as part of a script after an OS image is applied. (I am aware of SCW but AFAIK secedit is fine for this) the command is: SECEDIT /configure /db c:\PassPol.sdb /cfg c:\PassPol.inf /log secedit.log the question is: basically, the PassPol.inf security template file is copied from a network share to c:\PassPol.inf on the local server. Then the secedit command is run. It creates the PassPol.sdb file. After this command completes can I delete c:\PassPol.sdb and c:\PassPol.inf? Or are they continued to be used? I assume if they are continued to be used I should not have them right on the root of c:... if this is the case, where should I put them them? thanks in advance for any help.
May 5th, 2009 7:11pm

You don't need to keep the template on the computer unless you think you may need to apply it again later on. Security templates write the values to the registry and the SAM. If you wish to keep it, the default location for security databases and templates is %userprofile%\Documents\Security. That way they are stored in your personal profile.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 7th, 2009 3:54am

Thank you Brandon. The info is appreciated.
May 7th, 2009 4:42pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics