product key for windows 2000 server
my server crashed and had to replace hdd. i don't have my product key for my windows 2000 server. what do i do? do i have to purchase a new product key, if so. how? I called and chatted with customer service and can't seem to get where i need.
October 11th, 2012 1:58pm

For better support, ask your question here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/threadsPlease VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 11th, 2012 4:06pm

my server crashed and had to replace hdd. i don't have my product key for my windows 2000 server. what do i do? do i have to purchase a new product key, if so. how? I called and chatted with customer service and can't seem to get where i need.
October 11th, 2012 4:10pm

Hi , Microsoft Windows 2000 is out of orders and you cant order it from Microsoft. You can try to buy it from online stores , or from resellers that have . I think i have those codes but not sure . The question is why do you use windows 2000 ? Install windows 2003 if the windows 2008 is expansive to you . Have you try looking the Code on the box of the PC or some agreements with company files . If the HDD working you can try recover the password from there with some 3 part software . I recommend to you upgrade the system and hardware to minimum the windows 2003 and be up to data OS . The windows 2000 servers are not secure and the updates are off . Please respond :) MCSE/MCSA/
October 11th, 2012 4:57pm

Hi, I agree with the above suggestion, Windows Server 2000 is out of support, so I would like suggest you upgrade to at least Windows 2003. In addition, to get activated, we should call Microsoft. Please also refer to the below link for additional information: If my HDD fails and I get it replaced, can I reinstall Windows 7 on the same computer? http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/if-my-hdd-fails-and-i-get-it-replaced-can-i/2a0a01ce-3b79-4bb2-bc66-fb453b795ab6 The above thread is for Windows7, but I think it should also work for Windows 2000. Regards, Yan LiYan Li TechNet Community Support
October 16th, 2012 2:11am

Hi, I agree with the above suggestion, Windows Server 2000 is out of support, so I would like suggest you upgrade to at least Windows 2003. In addition, to get activated, we should call Microsoft. Please also refer to the below link for additional information: If my HDD fails and I get it replaced, can I reinstall Windows 7 on the same computer? http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/if-my-hdd-fails-and-i-get-it-replaced-can-i/2a0a01ce-3b79-4bb2-bc66-fb453b795ab6 The above thread is for Windows7, but I think it should also work for Windows 2000. Regards, Yan LiYan Li TechNet Community Support
October 16th, 2012 2:11am

thank you for your response. I bit the bullet and upgraded to 2003. but with my limited knowledge, i don't know how to set up my network. i have one server and 6 stations running off that server. any help would be appreciated! simpler the better.
October 16th, 2012 3:31pm

Hi, Do you mean you want to change settings of your network? Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network Connections.Right-click Local Area Connection In addition, run ncpa.cpl is also a way to open your connections. Regards, Yan Li Yan Li TechNet Community Support
October 16th, 2012 10:48pm

Hi, Do you mean you want to change settings of your network? Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network Connections.Right-click Local Area Connection In addition, run ncpa.cpl is also a way to open your connections. Regards, Yan Li Yan Li TechNet Community Support
October 16th, 2012 10:49pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics