problem with Global Catalog in server 2008 r2 because I have 2 servers connected with linksys router(simple router)
hello, I have one computer with sbs server 2008, and I installed on my second computer with server 2008 r2. I am using simple lincsys router. on sbs I have domain name such john.net . and I set 2008 r2 domain name john.local .just for practise reasons(studying) . I get always on my server2008 r2 AD DS error can't establish connection with Global Catalog. I tried every solution written in MSDN. do you thing the can exist because both computers are connecting the same router linksys in this case. thanks johanh.david
April 21st, 2012 10:41am

Start by verifying network connectivity. Run IPCONFIG /all (command prompt) from both computers. compare the results. They should each have a unique IP, but both should be using the same subnet mask and default gateway. If you are running DNS (which you should be) on the SBS server, then the SBS server should be pointing to itself for DNS and this new server should also be pointing to the SBS server for DNS. Next, from the new server, from the command prompt, try to ping the SBS server. For example, if the SBS server's IP is 192.168.0.1, then type ping 192.168.0.1. view the results. if you get request timed out, you need to resolve the network connectivity problem first. If you get a response, then step 2. Now ping the SBS server by hostname, such as ping server1.john.net. Response or time out?Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 21st, 2012 12:56pm

This is a design constraint with SBS server. In your case SBS 2008 server is the root domain controller in the forest root domain (john.net) hence there can be no inter-forest trusts or child domains. having a child domain with Windows 2008 DC (john.local) in the same forest will not work.However you can add a computer running Windows Server 2008 as a member server or a second domain controller to your Windows SBS domain. Others can correct me if I'm wrong! I suggest you setup these domains/DC's (with DNS on both for respective domains) in separate forests (chose option while dcpromo to promote to another forest) and setup DNS secondary zones/stub zones to enable name resolution across each other. Ref. link- Windows Small Business Server 2008 Technical FAQ HTH Sachin Gadhave (MCP, MCTS)
April 21st, 2012 2:56pm

Start by verifying network connectivity. Run IPCONFIG /all (command prompt) from both computers. compare the results. They should each have a unique IP, but both should be using the same subnet mask and default gateway. If you are running DNS (which you should be) on the SBS server, then the SBS server should be pointing to itself for DNS and this new server should also be pointing to the SBS server for DNS. Next, from the new server, from the command prompt, try to ping the SBS server. For example, if the SBS server's IP is 192.168.0.1, then type ping 192.168.0.1. view the results. if you get request timed out, you need to resolve the network connectivity problem first. If you get a response, then step 2. Now ping the SBS server by hostname, such as ping server1.john.net. Response or time out?Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.
April 21st, 2012 7:49pm

This is a design constraint with SBS server. In your case SBS 2008 server is the root domain controller in the forest root domain (john.net) hence there can be no inter-forest trusts or child domains. having a child domain with Windows 2008 DC (john.local) in the same forest will not work.However you can add a computer running Windows Server 2008 as a member server or a second domain controller to your Windows SBS domain. Others can correct me if I'm wrong! I suggest you setup these domains/DC's (with DNS on both for respective domains) in separate forests (chose option while dcpromo to promote to another forest) and setup DNS secondary zones/stub zones to enable name resolution across each other. Ref. link- Windows Small Business Server 2008 Technical FAQ HTH Sachin Gadhave (MCP, MCTS)
April 21st, 2012 9:50pm

Hello, if i understand you correct, your SBS is configured as one domain controller for the doamin john.net and the Windows server 2008 R2 you have created a domain controller with the domain name john.local. If that is the case then you can NOT create a trust between the domains as the SBS version is NOT able to create a trust, one of the SBS limitations. If the Windows server 2008 R2 is also DC then please assure it use itself as DNS server and NONE else on the NIC. This seesm to me not to be a problem with the SBS machine, instead only the Windows server 2008 R2 DC, so please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the problem machine, so we can verify some settings. Is the problem DC also configured as DNS server or did you use the SBS DC as DNS server when buliding the domain?Best regards Meinolf Weber MVP, MCP, MCTS Microsoft MVP - Directory Services My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/ Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
April 22nd, 2012 6:24am

Hello, if i understand you correct, your SBS is configured as one domain controller for the doamin john.net and the Windows server 2008 R2 you have created a domain controller with the domain name john.local. If that is the case then you can NOT create a trust between the domains as the SBS version is NOT able to create a trust, one of the SBS limitations. If the Windows server 2008 R2 is also DC then please assure it use itself as DNS server and NONE else on the NIC. This seesm to me not to be a problem with the SBS machine, instead only the Windows server 2008 R2 DC, so please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the problem machine, so we can verify some settings. Is the problem DC also configured as DNS server or did you use the SBS DC as DNS server when buliding the domain?Best regards Meinolf Weber MVP, MCP, MCTS Microsoft MVP - Directory Services My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/ Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
April 22nd, 2012 1:18pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics