printer ports windows 2003 server
I've been having a look at printers installed on a windows 2003 print server. If you get the printers IP and do a port scan, 9/10 they've got snmp (blank or default community string), telnet, ftp (anonymous) open? What ports and services are the real ones needed for network printing and which can usually be disabled?
September 8th, 2010 8:03pm

I've been having a look at printers installed on a windows 2003 print server. If you get the printers IP and do a port scan, 9/10 they've got snmp (blank or default community string), telnet, ftp (anonymous) open? What ports and services are the real ones needed for network printing and which can usually be disabled? This is a Microsoft article named "Network Printer Ports": http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc728404%28WS.10%29.aspx Have a look at it. It will give you what you want to know in details. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 8th, 2010 8:13pm

Hi cf090, Thanks for post here. Mr x may provided a good article that would answer your question. Meanwhile, the Print Spooler service is the center of the Windows printing subsystem, I had list the required protocol and ports of this service below for you reference : System service name: Spooler Application protocol Protocol Ports NetBIOS Datagram Service UDP 138 NetBIOS Name Resolution UDP 137 NetBIOS Session Service TCP 139 SMB TCP 445 Note The Spooler service uses RPC over named pipes. This service has the same firewall requirements as those of the "File and Printer Sharing" feature. Service overview and network port requirements for the Windows Server system http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832017 Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 9th, 2010 9:06am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics