possible to set processor affinity to a thread of a process?
I knew we can set processor affinity to a process. But if a process have mutlple threads, say I have a process with 8 threads, and there are 8 cpus, is it possible to set each thread with one cpu and don't let the thread from one cpu to another?
July 16th, 2010 12:31pm

i am not aware of an "administrative" tool to do this. if its about applications developed in your company, you can programatically influence affinity masks (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms684847(VS.85).aspx)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 16th, 2010 12:41pm

Hi Daniel, It is possible to start an application and set the CPU affinity. What’s the OS running on your server? Here’s an article about such function in Windows Vista, it may also work on Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2. You may give it a try. Start an Application Assigned to a Specific CPU in Windows Vista http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/start-an-application-assigned-to-a-specific-cpu-in-windows-vista/ Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet. Regards, Karen JiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
July 21st, 2010 10:56am

i think he was trying to change affinity of threats, not processes, which is not possible with windows board tools like taskmanager afaik
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 23rd, 2010 1:04pm

yes, FZB knew what I mean. I am trying to bind a thread to a cpu instead a process to a cpu. Looks like impossible?
July 29th, 2010 12:35pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics