pls guide. own server or dedicated server
Hi! i dont have idea about server. i am having 3 website windows based which is having 250 mb size database in each.(amy increase) now i have hosted outside but facing many difficulties. so planning to have own server. so can u pls tell me which is best solution. having own server in my office or dedicated server from outside. pls tell pros and cons in each. thanks and regards, S.Abitha
March 24th, 2010 5:24pm

There are alot of intagible costs associated with hosting your own environment. If you do not have the expertise or budget to host your own environment, I would continue to have your solution hosted. If you current hosting provider is not providing you good service, move it to another provider that will be willing to provide you with a guaranteed Service Level Agreement (SLA). Without the proper knowledge and budget to host your own environment, you may find yourself in a more difficult situation. Here are some of the things you need to think about: Costs associated with the server, proper environmentals (A/C, power, physical security), maintenance of the OS, patches, website configuration and maintenance, load balancing?, high availability?, etc... It really all depends on how important the website is for you.Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 24th, 2010 5:52pm

thanks for ur reply. we have weekly newsletter which we are blasting to around 20000 email id every week. so what will the solution dedicated server or own web server. can u guys tell which is the best service provider for web hosting they should allow me to send atleast 2000 emails per hour for our newsletter. pls tell me
March 25th, 2010 9:48am

Hi , If you are only using the environment to send news letters, i would recommend you to stick to outsourcing model rather than inhouse deployment which requires additional skill sets to manage the network. a) servers b) firewalls c) applicaitons d) hardware So if you are good with the budget and the skill sets then you could think about inhouse deployment. Also you need to be aware of sending bulk emails out which potentially get blacklisted. so rely on 3rd party services like salesforce.com etc... if you like send an email with thousands of recipients, first, you must change the recipient limits at ESM | message delivery | defaults tab | recipient limits, the default value is 5000.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 25th, 2010 12:06pm

Hello Abitha_MCA, If you are planning to send out monthly newsletters, then I most definately recommend that you outsource this. The number one reason is that if you attempt to do this on your own without the proper knoweldge and experience, you will most likely find your server/IP banned due to SPAM. The larger ISPs are very sensitive these days, with good reason, regarding mass mailings and SPAM. You'll be blacklisted pretty quickly if your newsletter resembles anything that looks unsolicited. While I do not have any particular company to recommend, just do some more research on your own searching the internet. There are alot of established companies that do this. Once you get more familiarized, you may decide to set up your own infrastructure to do this. For a small organization, you may find it cheaper to continue with the hosting solution. Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
March 25th, 2010 4:28pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics