permissions issue
i am trying to install a program on a w2k8r2 system and it keeps denying access. to troubleshoot (since it creates a website) i tried to place a simple htm file in the wwwroot folder and i get access denied. i checked permissions and local admins have full control. for the fun of it, i gave domain admins full control. No change. it will let me create folders, but not files. grr. is this something new to w2k8r2 - any help would be appreciated. thanks!
June 30th, 2010 4:13am

even as admin account you get access warnings unless the account is explicit allowed (not the group). to prevent this behaviour, you will have to deactivate uac. run msconfig -> tools -> launch uac control and deactivate uac
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 30th, 2010 5:29am

Hi BJ_gunnery, In Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2, most of the operating system files are owned by the TrustedInstaller security identifier (SID), which is the only SID that has full control over them. The purpose is to prevent a process that is running as an administrator or under the LocalSystem account from automatically replacing the operating system files. Even local administrators cannot modify the operating system files. If you would like to modify an operating system file, you need to take ownership of the file either through the GUI window or use takeown command line utility and add an access control entry (ACE) on the file that permits you to modify it. So, if the program you installed is trying to modify the operating system files, it will not be allowed. You can find out which file or folder that the program is trying to modify and take ownership of the file or folder with Administrator account that is used to install the program. Regards, Karen Ji Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. On July 1st we will be making this forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that this forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the General Forum. So, until July 1st, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the General Forum. On June 11th, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the General Forum. Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com.
June 30th, 2010 8:50am

Hello, use RUNAS option when rightclicking the installation .exe file. Even members of the domain/enterprise/local Administrators are belonging to UAC.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 30th, 2010 10:53am

thank you all for the replies. I was just trying to publish an htm file to the wwwroot folder. disabling uac did not work. however, making my self owner and then trying seemed to work. the program i am trying to intall still does not work, so i will call the company and find out what it is trying to do and take ownership of that folder as well. thanks
June 30th, 2010 4:12pm

you can find out what a program tries to access with process monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx). depending on the response times of the company this might be faster for you.
June 30th, 2010 4:18pm

Thank you all for the suggestions. turned out i needed to install the iis6 stuff and then the program installed. knowing about how to adjust the permissions, however, is likely to be quite useful to me in the future. thanks
July 1st, 2010 8:51pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics