password protect shared folders
Does anyone know how i can password protect a shared folder on my windows 2003 sbs server? I know that active directory cannot do this but are their any recommendations as to what type of external software should be used? Thanks for any suggestions Cathy
November 22nd, 2010 4:03am

There is no way in Windows Server 2003 SBS to password protect a shared folder. You can search 3rd Party tools that allow to you to password protect a shared folder. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 22nd, 2010 4:19am

Hi There - I know that sbs cant do it my question was what external software is recommended? ...tanx
November 22nd, 2010 7:23am

You could use RMS and protect each document and or object. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd277361.aspx -- Paul Bergson MVP - Directory Services MCITP: Enterprise Administrator MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci 2008, Vista, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4 http://www.pbbergs.com Twitter @pbbergs Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 22nd, 2010 8:10am

but i dont think RMS restricts acces it only restricts forward, print, copy and edit rights, people with access to the folder can still view the documents or excel files inside....right?
November 23rd, 2010 7:00am

can anyone recommend any software at all?
November 25th, 2010 2:59am

Not really. In Windows, we use either NTFS permissions or EFS encryption, or Rights Management Service signatures for protection. Okay, PGP Disk sometimes, too. But not any password-protection utility. What's the actual problem, what stops you from using Permissions? MCITP: Enterprise Administrator; MCT; Microsoft Security Trusted Advisor
November 25th, 2010 3:08am

the problem I am having is that their are currently two administrators and only one (me) should have access to the HR folder (and of course the HR Manager). so without removing the other administrators administration rights the only solution is to password protect this particular folder, but finding software that can do this is proving very difficult. any suggestions?
November 25th, 2010 6:58am

Okay, this problem has no reliable solution. The Administrator is allmighty. You either remove administrative rights from untrusted person or just do nothing. Some partial solution could be implementing Encrypted File System, but this also could be too complicated for your environment. Managing encryption keys, backup etc? Do what - try pgp.com, what if pgpdisk is exactly for you?MCITP: Enterprise Administrator; MCT; Microsoft Security Trusted Advisor
November 25th, 2010 10:56am

funny i was just checking that out following your last reply....let me have a look, hopefully it'll solve the problem , ill get back to you. Thanx
November 26th, 2010 5:20am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics