one folder for different management packs

Hi,

is there any way to have the same folder for several management packs?

Regardless what I tried, I end up with a seperate folder for every management pack imported.

If I don't change the folder names in the XML, I get seperate folders with identical names.

I need a solution to have one folder for many management packs.

Thanks for reading and support

Bjoern

September 7th, 2015 8:40am

As far as I know, you can't.

What you can do however is sealing your MPs and then creating your views for all MPs on another distinct MP, so you'll have all your views under the same folder.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 7th, 2015 12:10pm

You cannot reference one unsealed MP from another unsealed MP.  This means that you cannot use same folder for serveal unselaed managment packs.
Roger
September 7th, 2015 11:43pm

Yes you can. you can define the folder in a sealed MP, and when other MPs need to add sub folders and views under this folder, you just have to reference the sealed MP in other MPs. I don't think you can do this in the SCOM operations console, but certainly possible when using authoring tools such as VSAE.
September 8th, 2015 3:14am

Yes you can. you can define the folder in a sealed MP, and when other MPs need to add sub folders and views under this folder, you just have to reference the sealed MP in other MPs. I don't think you can do this in the SCOM operations console, but certainly possible when using authoring tools such as VSAE.
September 8th, 2015 7:13am

• Proposed as answer by Ravishankar Yadav Tuesday, September 08, 2015 7:40 AM
  • Marked as answer by Bjoern_gen Thursday, September 10, 2015 9:13 AM

• Proposed as answer by Ravishankar Yadav Tuesday, September 08, 2015 7:40 AM
  • Marked as answer by Bjoern_gen Thursday, September 10, 2015 9:13 AM

I tested a very simple example.

The result is that nothing is displayed at all, no folder, no views.

What am I missing or where is the error?

First a Folder Management Pack:

<Manifest>
    <Identity>
      <ID>Dashboard.Folder</ID>
      <Version>1.0.0.1</Version>
    </Identity>
    <Name>Dashboard Folder</Name>
    <References>
  </Manifest>
  <Presentation>
    <Folders>
      <Folder ID="Dashboard.Folder.Folder" Accessibility="Public" />
    </Folders>
  </Presentation>
  <LanguagePacks>
    <LanguagePack ID="ENU" IsDefault="true">
      <DisplayStrings>
        <DisplayString ElementID="Dashboard.Folder">
          <Name>Dashboard Folder</Name>
          <Description>Folder for custom Dashboards</Description>
        </DisplayString>
        <DisplayString ElementID="Dashboard.Folder.Folder">
          <Name>Dashboards</Name>
          <Description>Folder for custom Dashboards</Description>
        </DisplayString>
      </DisplayStrings>
    </LanguagePack>
  </LanguagePacks>
</ManagementPack>

And next another MP with only a view, referencing the folder:

<Manifest>
    <Identity>
      <ID>custom.dashboard.1</ID>
    </Identity>
    <Name>custom dashboard 1</Name>
    <References>
      <Reference Alias="Alias6">
        <ID>Dashboard.Folder</ID>
        <PublicKeyToken>6a2ac1bf7a9994e9</PublicKeyToken>
      </Reference>
    </References>
  </Manifest>
  <Presentation>
    <Views>
      <View ID="custom.dashboard.1.Microsoft.Windows.Computer" Accessibility="Public" Enabled="true" Target="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.Computer" TypeID="SC!Microsoft.SystemCenter.AlertViewType" Visible="true">
        <Category>Custom</Category>
      </View>
    </Views>
    <FolderItems>
      <FolderItem ElementID="custom.dashboard.1.Microsoft.Windows.Computer" ID="custom.dashboard.1.Microsoft.Windows.Computer.FolderItem" Folder="Alias6!Dashboard.Folder.Folder" />
    </FolderItems>
  <Presentation>
    <Views>
      <View ID="custom.dashboard.1.Microsoft.Windows.Computer" Accessibility="Public" Enabled="true" Target="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.Computer" TypeID="SC!Microsoft.SystemCenter.AlertViewType" Visible="true">
        <Category>Custom</Category>
      </View>
    </Views>
    <FolderItems>
      <FolderItem ElementID="custom.dashboard.1.Microsoft.Windows.Computer" ID="custom.dashboard.1.Microsoft.Windows.Computer.FolderItem" Folder="Alias6!Dashboard.Folder.Folder" />
    </FolderItems>
  </Presentation>
  <LanguagePacks>
    <LanguagePack ID="ENU" IsDefault="true">
      <DisplayStrings>
        <DisplayString ElementID="custom.dashboard.1">
          <Name>custom dashboard 1</Name>
        </DisplayString>
        <DisplayString ElementID="custom.dashboard.1.Microsoft.Windows.Computer">
          <Name>custom dashboard 1 Microsoft Windows Computer</Name>
        </DisplayString>
      </DisplayStrings>
    </LanguagePack>
  </LanguagePacks>
</ManagementPack>

September 8th, 2015 8:37am

You'd need to use Visual Studio for this. You would create your Folder in one MP and seal it and then reference that folder in other MPs.

Regards

Graham

September 8th, 2015 5:41pm

That is exactly what I did with the two MP above, but something did not work.

But that was a simple example anyways. What I needed to do was using one folder with many dashboards. And that works different from views.

Here is what I did to accomplish it at the end:

First MP as above and seal it.

Second MP with excert from code:

<Manifest> <Identity> <ID>customDashboard1</ID> <Version>1.0.0.1</Version> </Identity> <Name>custom.Dashboard.1</Name> <References> ... <Reference Alias="Dashboard.Folder"> <ID>Dashboard.Folder</ID> <Version>1.0.0.1</Version> <PublicKeyToken>...</PublicKeyToken> </Reference> </References> </Manifest> <Presentation> <ComponentTypes> <ComponentType ID="customDashboard1" Accessibility="Public" Base="SystemCenter1!Microsoft.SystemCenter.Visualization.GridLayout" Lifetime="ReferenceCount" /> ... </ComponentTypes> <ComponentReferences> <ComponentReference ID="customDashboard1Reference" Accessibility="Public" TypeID="customDashboard1" Parent="Dashboard.Folder.Folder!" />

</ComponentReferences>

Thank you for the quick help

September 10th, 2015 5:13am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics