number of host instances = 240

Hi there, 

What happens please if I get 80 applications ?

The BizTalk good practices is to create  a separate host for each application One for Processing, one for Sending and one for Receiving. 

This means that the number of host instances would be 80 x 3 = 240

Would would you recommend in such a scenario ?

June 23rd, 2015 11:25am

Hi,

Number of host instance is always a relative term . Once you create a new host instance ,it will create you a host queue table and windows service (BTSNTsvc.exe process ) for that host . 

So I don't think you need 3 different host instance for single BizTalk Application . I would rather say you can have multiple application running for on same host process (one for send, one for receive and one for process) until and unless these host instances sustain the load .

Thanks

Abhishek

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 23rd, 2015 11:31am

What happens please if I get 80 applications ?--> That is fine. for BizTalk.

The BizTalk good practices is to create  a separate host for each application One for Processing, one for Sending and one for Receiving. --> IMHO not for each application but I would do that for each BizTalk Node in the group. So if you have two BizTalk Servers in a BizTalk group, I would do that. There is no defined set of rules for distributing the processing, it depends upon your application , processing type, load, type of adapters , 32 bit and 64 bit etc.

There is one link General BizTalk Server Optimizations, Please have a look

June 23rd, 2015 11:35am

Hi,

I think it depends on messages you are going to receive, if it really needed then you can create host instances and better to have a cluster environment so that you can able to switch between clustered host instances and in that way you can have less number of host instances also and a better working environment also.

Regards,

Sharad

June 23rd, 2015 12:52pm

Take step back, that Host configuration a (as in one of several) good practice, but not always the best.

The first thing I would focus on is the 80 applications.  Is there really 80 completely separate distinct apps?  Meaning they are defined by 80 separate Visual Studio Solutions?

If not, then task number one is to consolidate the apps.

June 23rd, 2015 5:22pm

No I would not outrightly recommend such a scenario. This is simply because what you're stating is ONLY ONE of the best practices and there are other rules that need to be looked at too. So

1. Are all 80 applications dealing with 80 distinct hosts ? If not while you may create one processing host for each application, create ONE common send host per core app
  2. If the applications are representing different business functions and exposing web services then create one processing host (isolated - application pool) per business function and associated all the associated receive ports/locations into this.
  3. You might look at using a similar logic (functional grouping of services) to create BizTalk Applications (multiple orchestrations, schema, maps, send/receive ports, etc.) and look as associating ONE processing host per such group.
  4. Do not club batch (bulk data processors) and transactional (online - message oriented) processes into the same processing host - it plays havoc with thread scheduling and affects performance in some ways.
  5. Do not club different technology adapters handlers (e.g.: File and DB) into a common host

so on an so forth. These are like the normalization rules for DB, there are 7 or 8 but for normal purposes 3 (Third normal) is sufficient. If this is so much of a concern for you then take up a complete performance optimization exercise.

As far as 80 applications are concerned the first point to be taken is hopefully you have more than TWO BizTalk Servers (front-end) where you're planning to split the processing and the send/receive functions across otherwise 240 processes running on the same physical (or virtual) machine would anyways kill it.

Regards.

June 24th, 2015 12:49am

It has never been best practise to have Hosts pr. Applications in BizTalk Server. I know that many people think so, but that doesn't make it right :-)

Morten la Cour

June 24th, 2015 1:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics