ntbackup questions
A couple of questions on the use of ntbackup for windows servers in a corporate environment if I may. I have read ntbackup is not really a suitable solution in corporate environments for backing up windows servers. Can anyone give me some practical reasons why? And if we are using ntbackup for backing up of windows servers in a corporate environment, is this a risk? And how likely is this risk of actually occuring – and the potential impact to our business? Also, what is “system state” in terms of a windows backup, I regularly see backup files (BKF) for os and system state, but they are small files. Why do you create one file for os and system state, and another for all the data on the drives of the server, why not create one BKF with OS, this “system state”, and the data, all in one BKF file? And also how does the backup process start with ntbackup, is it usually a scheduled task that runs through the night? Does ntbackup backup directly on tape, or is the ntbackup process just saving the data to another location, ready for it to be archived to tape or whatever?
July 4th, 2011 9:44am

Hello, for backup related questions please use: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsbackup/threadsBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 4th, 2011 10:03am

Hi, NTbackup in itself is a good backup solution but it lacks enterprise features such as central management etc...which becomes important when backing up a lot of servers. It has been replace by Windows Server Backup in Windows 2008. The system state contains : The Registry, boot files, as well as important system files. Then depending on their availability, the following services will be backed up as well:? Active Directory directory service, Certificate Service database, COM+ Class Registration database, SYSVOL directory. (http://www.datamills.com/Tutorials/systemstate/tutorial.htm) Usually it is started using a schedulled task and it can backup to tape (Windows Server Backup cannot). Kind regards K
July 4th, 2011 10:09am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics