no network provider accepted the given networ path
Hi, i've this trouble.... A customer has a Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP2 with the following problem: when it goes into start-> run-> \ \ servername i can view properly the list of shares but if i try to access to any of these shares i get the message "No network provider accepted the given network path ". If I do the test by going to Start-> Run> \ \ ipaddress of the server i'have directly the message "No network provider accepted the given network path" without even seeing the list of shares. I checked that DNS is working properly. I performed a nslookup, a dcdiag / test: RegisterInDNS / DnsDomain a dcdiag / test: connectivity, a dcdiag / test: dcpromo / DnsDomain: FQDN / NewTree / ForestRoot a netdiag / test: dsgetdc / d: DomainName / v and get all positive results. I also followed as shown in kb 841570, but does not solve anything. I am always with the problem reported. Someone can help me?! Please... Thank's in advance
December 29th, 2010 4:25am

Hi, Is the time in sync on the servers? It seems to me like some authentication problem.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 29th, 2010 3:24pm

here is an thought. Have you verified server is listening on SMB port 445? use the "netstat -an" command to verify that SMB protocol is enabled and server is listening on port 445 and 135
December 29th, 2010 7:57pm

Hi, thanks a lot for your reply. I've check time sync and it's ok, and also all SMB protocol is enabled and server is listening on port 445 and 135 but i have the same error. any idea?
December 30th, 2010 1:58am

Hello, please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the server and a problem client. Is the server Domain controller, domain member or workgroup server? Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
December 30th, 2010 8:32am

Hello, the ipconfig /all of the server is: Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : server Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : domain.local Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain.local Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-5E-C9-1E-DB DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.254 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2 The ipconfig /all of one client is: Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.local Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet #2 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-29-82-DB-34 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.91 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.254 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : giovedì 30 dicembre 2010 12.51.28 Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : lunedì 3 gennaio 2011 12.51.28 The problem is the same from client and form the same server. The server is the only server in lan and it's a Domain Controller
December 30th, 2010 11:03am

Hi, Thanks for posting here. Have you also tried follow KB 301041 to install NetBeui on this host ? How to install NetBEUI on Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301041 Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 31st, 2010 3:02am

Hi Tiger Li, it's fantastic! The Netbeui solved my trouble, but why??? I have only a Windows 2003 Server Std Edition sp2 and some client windows xp and windows vista, why i should to install netbeui on the server? Thanks a lot for your help!
January 4th, 2011 2:05am

Hi, Glad this solution is help. Have you recently modified system’s settings? like installing patches ? and have you also deployed any third party antivirus software on this host ? Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 4th, 2011 6:37am

Hi, only updates that I have run on this server were Microsoft Updates (only security updates), any other patches or software was installed. On the server is running Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.6 but this is always running on this server also before this trouble. Anyway thank you very much for your help!
January 5th, 2011 9:01am

Hi, I suspect that the installed third party Antivirus software may cause this issue, could you try following the KB article below to remove or update it and check if this issue persist : Unable to access Shares "The specified network name is no longer available" when Symantec Endpoint Protection prior to 11.0.4202 (MR4-MP2) or Symantec Antivirus 10.2 are installed on a Windows 2003, 2008 or 2008 R2 Server http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961293 Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 6th, 2011 3:54am

Hi all, I have the same problem with 2003 SP2 after installing MS Updates. It worked fine before the last updates but I'm not able to find update that cause the problem I don't have Symantec installed but Sophos. Regards Fabrice
January 12th, 2011 6:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics