new domain profiles fail with ie4uinit initialization errors
i have a pair of problems... a dell vostro 1700 portable and an hp something or other desktop, that are failing when connecting to the domain the first time. Profiles seem to be created, as the resultant folder is 22MB or so, however each unit dies with ie4uinit errors, and then a series of failed app launches and a vague access denied dialog box. I have deleted both users at the server end and re-creating. I have tried creating a new local user after bouncing back out of the domain into the workgroup. I have tried running windows update and applying security updates. The ONLY way this works is if i make the user a domain admin, then it finishes, but if i remove the domain admin priviledges, it fails again when logging in. This is off a brand new server 2008 r2. i have had no problems otherwise joining any unit to the domain. Any ideas on how to proceed. Seems to be a local security issue, but i have no idea where to look.
August 10th, 2010 11:03pm

Hello, what OS version is used on the client machines, you didn't mention, are they created from a not sysprepped imaged? Are they joined to the domain without any error? If i understand you correct during logon of the domain user account on the workstation errors popup? Or do you talk about domain user accounts logging on directly to the domain controller?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 11th, 2010 11:22am

these are xp sp3 machines, trying to log on as a domain user to a domain the first time. it logs on fine, but fails creating the profile for a regular domain user. The first error that occurs is ie4uinit and then all the other apps that would run for each user on login also fail.
August 16th, 2010 5:32pm

Hello, sorry, but i do not really follow you. Did you prepare/create roaming profiles for the domain users and they are not loaded? Please post the complete error message when the logon fails for a domain user. What about my question about sysprep and if the machines are joined to the domain without any error?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
August 16th, 2010 7:57pm

to clarify... these two XPsp3 are connected to a workgroup. I am joining them to a domain on a server2008 r2 for the first time ever. There are no roaming profiles and these are existing pc's, they have not been prepped. all the other desktops have joined the domain succesfully. These two computers will join the domain ok. I can log in as the domain user properly on each to add it to the domain. Once it has been connected, the pc MUST reboot. Once it reboots, it begins to create the new domain profile locally in documents and settings\user.domain.... Now each profile creation fails. First it displays the error... ie4uinit cannot initialize c0000022... and other apps that should run also fail. I cannot log in as the local domain profile again... it keeps failing with the ie4uinit error. What is causing this?
August 18th, 2010 4:23pm

Hello, thanks for clearing the way. "ie4uinit" i have seen when problems with IE are occuring. Is there any customization running for IE(which version is installed)? After reboot the machine shows the normal logon window, i assume? So it doesn't matter if a new domain user is created, the same problem occurs during logon from domain user account? Are there any special security settings implemented on the client machines?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
August 18th, 2010 8:56pm

after reboot the machines present the normal login window and gets as far as the profile creation before it fails. I have deleted and recreated the domain users, and the same issue occurs. I have no reason to believe there is any customizations done to IE, not by me anyhow... it is version 8, and i have run windows updates to patch the machines to current security levels. These were both wide open workgroup pc's, users had administrator security. i will check and see if there are any toolbars or tweaks made to IE. i am getting frustrated by this. i do not want to have to attempt a re-install.
August 19th, 2010 4:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics