networking problem
hey there, i am a very newbie on networking, so i will try my best. i have this problem which came out of nothing, everything was working perfectly and then i got some problems. the network is buildup with two servers one works as a default gateway with ISA(Internet Security Accelerator) and the second as a DNS which got active directory, 3 switches ,1 router provided by ISP. i got internet connection from DSL line throw the router "LIVEBOX" into one of the switches, also this switch connected to 17 port to computers and i have connected the 2 servers(ISA,DNS) to that same switch "switch1 connected to 17 port to computers, Server1(ISA), Server2(DNS)" , the 2 other switches are connected by connecting switch 1 to 2 and switch 2 to 3 and they are connected to other computers. now whenever i ping the servers using ping -t servername no timed out, both ways "server 1 --- server 2, server 2 --- server 1 ". now if i go to any computer and then ping the servers i got like 20% loss with request timed out, same for other devices on the network "pinging a printer or computer from other computer. you can connected to internet and other devices on the network but it disconnected after a while. thanx any way.
November 25th, 2010 3:22pm

Hi, Thanks for posting here. Which switch device are these computers that encountered this issue connect to? Please try directly connect one of client with server and perform ping test , will this issue persist ? Which models of this three switches? Have you consulted with ISP to check it? Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 26th, 2010 8:02am

Please try directly connect one of client with server and perform ping test , will this issue persist ? what you mean by that ?
November 26th, 2010 8:03pm

i got trednet gigabit switches and LiveBox router.
November 27th, 2010 8:45am

Hi, Thanks for update. I suspected that the switch devices may cause this connectivity issue , so I suggest you connect one of client computer’s nic to server’s nic directly and perform Ping test, so that we can determine if the switch devices is the cause this issue .Since ISP provides this switches, so you may consult with ISP to check if any incorrect settings. Meanwhile , I would suggest you try the troubleshooting methods in the article below also: Advanced network adapter troubleshooting for Windows workstations http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325487/ Please also capture the network traffic by using network monitor on problematic computer when perform ping test: Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=983b941d-06cb-4658-b7f6-3088333d062f&displaylang=en Network Monitor http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938655.aspx Thanks Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 29th, 2010 9:19am

hey tiger, thnx for your intrest. when i did connect my computer directly to the both server it give me no time out after 120 time ping. now i'll read these articales and try if i can manage to solve the problem and then i'll post what result i have. NOTE: the switches dosent provided by ISP, only the router. livebox router form orange. best regards.
November 29th, 2010 12:11pm

i cant see how the network monitor helps me. i started captureing, but i dont understant the packets. what is the purpose of network monitowring ? i want to add this: the isa sever i got is connected to 2 caples, one go directly to the router "LiveBox" and the other is connected to the switch, 2 local area connection one with ip 192.168.1.3 and the other 192.168.1.4. if i ping the ip that is connected to switch 192.168.1.3 it gives no time out, the other one 192.168.1.4 which connected to router gives some time out. the speed is 1G to the one connected to switch and 100 mbps for the one is connected to router, is this a problem ?
November 29th, 2010 1:50pm

Hi, Thanks for update. Have you tried the methods that discuss in article “Advanced network adapter troubleshooting for Windows workstations” ? and what’s the result ? I suggested capture the network traffic because with analysis this traffic we may find the clue of this connectivity issue . Please capture the traffic between two computers that encountered this issue when you perform ping test , and upload the result to the workspace. URL : https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=973f692a-619f-4d6e-b27d-135b366861a9 Password : XyXVYBu9MgCEI For how to capture and save result ,please refer to the link below: How to capture network traffic with Network Monitor http://support.microsoft.com/kb/148942 Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 30th, 2010 8:24am

i have uploaded the file please confirm sucssess.
November 30th, 2010 1:43pm

Hi, Sorry I can find anything, could you try again ? Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 1st, 2010 7:51am

Tiger i finished uploading successfuly, hope u find it.
December 1st, 2010 11:24pm

hey there, what i did to solve my problem is that i bought a new switch with 48 port and installed it then connected all devices to it, unistalled ISA and the service back 2 reinstalled ISA again and configue it all over again. now everything back to normal.
December 9th, 2010 10:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics