network statistics workstation failed use count is high
having issues in a domain environment running sbs2003 w/exchange operational ...everytime network is accessed from any machine (including server) mrssmb warning (event id 3019) is logged ....all workstations access a dos based program which is accessed via server share and we've had issues where it seems the data in the program is not being communicated properly to all users..i've updated all nic drivers with the latest drivers. ran net statistics command and the failed use count on workstation service on machines concerns me....not sure how to interpret ...can you provide some feedback/assistance? here's couple of the net statistics results: Workstation Statistics for \\ANGIE Statistics since 11/5/2008 10:15 AM Bytes received 50547601 Server Message Blocks (SMBs) received 78162 Bytes transmitted 9618708 Server Message Blocks (SMBs) transmitted 78192 Read operations 13778 Write operations 823 Raw reads denied 0 Raw writes denied 0 Network errors 0 Connections made 134 Reconnections made 0 Server disconnects 0 Sessions started 0 Hung sessions 0 Failed sessions 0 Failed operations 0 Use count 292 Failed use count 216 The command completed successfully. Workstation Statistics for \\BACKOFFICE1 Statistics since 11/4/2008 8:05 PM Bytes received 194904375 Server Message Blocks (SMBs) received 682662 Bytes transmitted 75124194 Server Message Blocks (SMBs) transmitted 682668 Read operations 230838 Write operations 1317 Raw reads denied 0 Raw writes denied 0 Network errors 0 Connections made 296 Reconnections made 0 Server disconnects 1 Sessions started 0 Hung sessions 0 Failed sessions 0 Failed operations 0 Use count 1525 Failed use count 1064 The command completed successfully. Thanks for your help!
November 6th, 2008 4:46pm

hi there,sorry for the delayed response.i would love to read the smb trace if you could run the netmon / ethereal capture while you are accesisng the share.please make sure to update the following files to the latest a) MRXSMB.sys file version on the client side b) srv.sys file version c) rdbss.sys file verison make sure all the above 3 files are uploaded on the server end as well even though mrxsmb is used from client end and srv.sys file is used at server end. sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 14th, 2008 4:54pm

I am working on a 3 workstaion peer to peer network. There are 2 users and one machine that serves as the repository for a database. The users are also getting high failed use counts where 60-75% of the use counts are failing.I have simplified the network to the point where it is all wireless in a 3 room office. The internet comes in from comcast on coaxial and one wire goes from the comcast box to a linksys wireless router. I tried hardwiring the 3 together, but found the wireless to be faster. I figured by eliminating the wiring, I can eliminate the wire and interference from floresent lights as a cause. I have updated the drivers for the NIC cards, scanned the machines for viruses, spyware and registry errors, and done chkdsk.I have turned off the startup items on the machines but still get a high Failed use count.When watching the resource monitor in Vista I see a high network activity. I have tried turning off individual machines to see if I can isolate it.Any ideas?Any help would be greatly appreicated. Thanks
January 6th, 2009 11:52pm

Hi there,i understand that clients are accessing the dos based program which is on the share . here is what i feel . client accessing the server share ( without application ) -- i believe there will not be any issues ? -- please confirm client accessing the server share (with application ) -- problem occurs -- can you tell what is the problem that users has ? need more information about the application it seems to much of application problem rather than shares.did you check if clients has latest version of the files which i mentioned earlier ?can you paste the event id 3019 with complete description ?sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 7th, 2009 8:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics