network shares inaccessible, PDC unavailable and shared printers (from PDC) offline. restart or log off/log on fixes
Ok let me provide some more information on this. We are only getting this issue with workstations running Windows 7 and using Windows Server 2003 standard as the domain controller When users log on sometimes, the network shares/mapped drives from the primary domain controller cannot be accessed giving error "local device name is already in use". At the same time, printers that are shared from the same server go offline and cannot be used. When attempting to access via a unc path e.g. \\pdc\ the server is not found. Conversely to this, exchange DOES seem to work at the same time from the same server. While this is happening, we can access the terminal server shares fine, so know it is a specific problem with accessing the DC. A restart or log on/log off seems to cure this most of the time, it just seems to be an issue when initially logging on. We are getting this in a number of places, all with the same setup. Drive mappings are assigned from logon scripts. As a temporary workaround, we have manually added printers on all Windows 7 workstations (all IP printers), and this has sorted this problem. Manually adding the mapped drives also seems to sort the problem. Any ideas? Thanks in advance Steve
October 14th, 2010 6:18am

Ok let me provide some more information on this. We are only getting this issue with workstations running Windows 7 and using Windows Server 2003 standard as the domain controller When users log on sometimes, the network shares/mapped drives from the primary domain controller cannot be accessed giving error "local device name is already in use". At the same time, printers that are shared from the same server go offline and cannot be used. When attempting to access via a unc path e.g. \\pdc\ the server is not found. Conversely to this, exchange DOES seem to work at the same time from the same server. While this is happening, we can access the terminal server shares fine, so know it is a specific problem with accessing the DC. A restart or log on/log off seems to cure this most of the time, it just seems to be an issue when initially logging on. We are getting this in a number of places, all with the same setup. Drive mappings are assigned from logon scripts. As a temporary workaround, we have manually added printers on all Windows 7 workstations (all IP printers), and this has sorted this problem. Manually adding the mapped drives also seems to sort the problem. Any ideas? Thanks in advance Steve I am having the exact same issue. Have you found a resolution? I can ping \\pdc\ the IP resolves and the server replies, but no UNC connection. Also I can still UNC to other servers with no issues.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 17th, 2010 4:52pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics