network plan
Hi everyone,I have to write up aserver cost list for a medium sized business with approx. 90internal hosts, and20 external host, using Windows server 2008, could anyone offer me advice on what servers (hardware)i should use.Is one server enough to house 10 virtual servers using hyper-v and can any one give any websites that will quote prices online.I have looked on the dell website and seen some servers there but not sure which ones would be approiatethanks in advance for any help.
March 28th, 2009 7:04pm

hi martin ,my suggestion would be to contact a MCS guy from microsoft ( consultant ) who can give you exact cost and architecture related info after thorough analysis of your infrastructure.it is not recommend to follow instructions from a forum without understanding your infrastructure.sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 30th, 2009 10:23am

Hi thanks for your reply the thing is I am in college and doing a report on cost (sorry I forgot to mention that)So I am trying to get my head around what should be covered and what is invloved,I know you would probably prefer to help out somebody in a real would situation but I would really appricate any advice or help offered.Thanks in advance Martinflan
March 30th, 2009 8:18pm

Hi Martin, To be honest, it's very hard to provide you an exactly resolution. But maybe I can help you a little. First, if you don't have enough budget, Hyper-V is the best proposal for you. Q: Is one server enough to house 10 virtual servers using hyper-v? A: Hard to say, this should be according to the configuration of the computer and the function of the virtual machines. For examples, if you only have some small tests running on XP, then the need maybe down, in this case, a normal desktop with quad core CPU and 6GB(more than 6 GB should be better) memory should be enough(assign 400~500MB's memory to each XP virtual machine). But, if you want to run some program like SQL, you need large memory and good I/O of disk. Best regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 1st, 2009 1:04pm

cool thanks guys if anyone knows any websites that provide prices online line for their servers it would be great.I have been using dell and I was pricing blade servers and couldnt not get a price for a blade enclosure M1000e(which is a bit important if you want to use a blade server), which was kinda of annoying they also do not have a sales email address you have to call them,and me being a student can barely pay my phone bill, and saying that if i did ring for a quote they would more than likely want company details and not provide me with a quote without them"RANT OVER"thanks for all the help
April 5th, 2009 3:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics