network cards
I am trying to set up 2 network cards on the same computer. I have assigned each one static IP addresses. I am trying to ping one of the cards with the other one using a crossover cable. I need to do this because I need to send a signal outside the 1st network card and come back in the second for testing purposes.When I ping the ethernet card howeversincethe operating system sees the IP address of the second card it never pings from the first card to send the signal. How to get around having the cards ping themselves so I can hook up a crossover cable to talk to each one with the other? Is there a way to do this?
July 8th, 2008 9:30pm

No, that won't work. Both NICs use the same IP stack. The routing software knows that both NICs are in fact on the same machine. You will need to use two different machines.Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 9th, 2008 9:13am

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do, but it sounds like Microsoft Virtual PC 2004might be able to help :) With Virtual PC you can network together virtual machines and create what is essentially a small network in a single box.Hope this helps,MichaelA+, Network+, MCSE (2000 \ 2003), MCTS, CISSP LinkedIn
July 15th, 2008 3:38pm

TampaITGuy said: I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do, but it sounds like Microsoft Virtual PC 2004might be able to help :) With Virtual PC you can network together virtual machines and create what is essentially a small network in a single box.Hope this helps,MichaelA+, Network+, MCSE (2000 \ 2003), MCTS, CISSP LinkedInThis would possibly be the best solution, install 2 VMs running with different IP addresses, or even just one VM with a different address from the base machine. The only other thing I would recommend is maybe using Virtual PC 2007 instead.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 31st, 2008 10:30am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics