my windows 2012 eval is asking for a key why is it doing that?

I am trying to install the windows 2012 eval version, I downloaded

9200.16384.WIN8_RTM.120725-1247_X64FRE_SERVER_EVAL_EN-US-HRM_SSS_X64FREE_EN-US_DV5.iso from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/evalcenter/hh670538.aspx

burned a disk but when I try and install it asks for a key, and from what I understand this should not require a key.

and the only email I recieved was this

Resources for your Windows Server 2012 Evaluation

Dear eric:
Thanks for downloading and evaluating Windows Server 2012. Weve put together some great resources to get you started. They are all in one convenient location - the Windows Server 2012 Resource Page. For example, check out:
 TechEd Video: Deploying Windows Server 2012: From Bare Metal, Server Core, Minimal Server Interface, and More

Windows Server Installation Options

Product and Evaluation Guide

Go to Resources
Find a Windows Server 2012 IT Camp Near You
Microsoft IT Camps are expert led, no-cost, hands-on technical training events for IT professionals. Gain deep technical insight into the new features and functionalities of Windows Server 2012.
Attend a Cloud OS Signature Event near you
Join us for a free one-day launch event. The Cloud OS Signature Event Series will give you the opportunity to engage with the Redmond product team experts and check out all the exciting products were launching. Get hands-on with the new technology, and learn how to manage and build your modern data center with the Microsoft Cloud OS platform: Windows Server 2012, Windows Azure, Visual Studio 2012 and System Center 2012.

Register for the event today.

I got this from Microsoft <Microsoft@e-mail.microsoft.com>

can someone tell me why this is happening?

October 26th, 2012 6:20pm

Sounds like either your download or your burning munged something.  I use the eval copy all the time and have never been asked for a key.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 26th, 2012 6:44pm

Having the same problem as Eric. Unlikely that is has anything to do with downloading or DVD burning. I have downloaded the ISO before, using the same MS account. At that time I received a mail from MS specifying a product key. That key does not work on the second installation. 

Han Felkers

December 11th, 2013 5:17pm

Hi Tim,  I respect your knowledge.  Yet I am having this difficulty also.  In my case I do not think it is the iso that I burned to disc because I burned two discs and each had the problem.  I downloaded the ISO for each.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 25th, 2015 11:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics