my computer
i have locked myself out of the administrator user on my computer and cannot remember the password and the other user is not an admin is there a way i could like reset my computer so i can get back into it.
July 29th, 2013 5:54pm

Nope, not without a password reset disk or another admin account.  If the machine is part of a domain the domain admin should have some options but if your computer is just on a home network then you need to back up all your data and preform a factory restore.  bummer...  Always create a password reset disk for admin accounts that you don't often use.  Type "password reset disk" in the search box and it should lead you to a wizard.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 30th, 2013 1:08am

okay well that really sucks.. thanks for the help..
July 30th, 2013 1:44am

This is not entirely true. Which version of Windows Server are you using?

Some tools exist, for older versions (up to Server 7/2008r2), that can 'crack' the Windows SAM files, using rainbow tables lookup - so if your password is not too complex - this is one way of trying to get it back. One such tool is 'Ophcrack'.

If your password is not an 'easy-one' / generic / in the tables - you can use other tools to replace your password in windows. About.com made an article about various tools, avaiable here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/passrecovery.htm

Hope it works out for you :)

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 16th, 2013 5:28am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics