multiple desktops
At my work we are thinking of different ways to replace our current computers. We make proprietary software and we might have up to 15 students during any class. I am trying to come up with a way where each student can have their own computer but that is still easy for me to manage. What I would like to do is run a Windows Server on a pretty powerful computer, then let each student run a copy of Windows from a terminal that is connected to the server. This way I only have to manage one computer (the server) instead of 15. That being said, there are a couple of things that I don't know such as: 1) Is this configuration possible? 2) If it is possible, is this configuration legal? Would I have to purchase Windows server and then 15 copies of Windows? I have heard of virtual desktops. Would I be running client virtual desktops on the server and provide each student with a monitor, keyboard and mouse? 3) What would be the pros and cons of this configuration vs. purchasing 15 desktop computers? 4) Is this scalable? If we have 30 students in the future and I have to purchase another server can I tie the two together? 5) Any other advice that the experts can provide to me. Thanks, Jon
January 23rd, 2011 3:50pm

You might take a look at VMWare http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop_virtualization.html Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 23rd, 2011 5:17pm

Hello Jon, You can refer to following: Enabling Server and Desktop Virtualization http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/r2-virtualization.aspx BrentPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 24th, 2011 10:40pm

Maybe this isn't the right area for this follow up question, but if I have multiple virtual desktops running off of one server, what hardware do I purchase to make sure that I don't have 5 keyboards trying to control the same monitor? Or is there some way that I can map each device?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 4th, 2011 10:36pm

How are you connecting? I usually use RDP. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
February 4th, 2011 11:43pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics