multiple cidaemon.exe instances
I am running Windows Server 2003 SP2. I seem to always have multiple(up to 6) instances of cidaemon.exe running. Is this normal? My network seems to lock up sometimes for 20 to 30 seconds. Just wondering if this many instances is normal. Thanks Grajek
December 14th, 2009 9:58pm

It isan indexing service component. The Indexing service uses the Cidaemon.exe process to index files. The Cidaemon.exe process builds and updates the Index catalog. If you want it off you can Explorer|Search|Change Preferences|Without Indexing ServiceRegards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 14th, 2009 10:12pm

Although we can turn it off, but if we want the indexing service, the question is -should it be running multiple instances. I have around 180 instances on a server. secondly, if i turn it off, what performance aspect (cpu/memory/disk io...) of the server is going to be affected because of the searches withough indexing ??
May 13th, 2011 8:30am

180 seems a bit excessive. How long does it take to get that many instances running? What OS and SP? Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 14th, 2011 12:11am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics