multi files in one shot

i have multiple folders in a directory and each folder contains multiple files of same extension but with different formats(columns) and names(xmp: file aand file b). We have a data task in which we are joining(merge) both files and loading into table.

I am not able to understand how to achieve this. should i use foreach, but then it takes 1 file at a time and i need the other file also to join it in data flow.

can somebody help me on this.

July 21st, 2015 1:59pm

This is doable if you can find some file naming principles that 1) identify a set of files as being in some way one set; 2) identify the specific load associated with each file.

What you do is you find files that match one pattern, say "XYZ*.txt". That becomes your loop.  You parse the file name using either an expression or script task to find the part of the name that identifies the set of files (normally a date stamp).  Then for each of the other files, you need the file pattern for each file + the set identifier.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 21st, 2015 2:20pm

Hi scottichrosaviakosmos,

According to your description, you want to load data from multiple files to a SQL Server table.

If in this scenario, those multiple files should have same columns. Then we can use a Data Flow Task within a Foreach Loop Container to achieve your requirement. For more details, please refer to the following blog:
http://reports4u.co.uk/ssis-import-multiple-files-into-a-table/

Besides, since SSIS Source component only support static metadata, please format those files with same columns in advance if they have different columns.

Thanks,
Katherine Xiong

July 22nd, 2015 11:51pm

If each type of files metadata is fixed then you can use separate for each loops to parse each files and get data to a staging table. Then assuming you've common fields based on which tables can be related you can use a sql procedure to merge the data from tables and insert to your final table.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 23rd, 2015 12:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics