moving folder redirect to new server
i have windows 2003 standard server R2. i found a couple of articles regarding this and still not clear on what to do i have 800 users so i have to do this the right way the first time around. i basically want to move my home folder to a new server on the same domain cause it has more harddive space 1. one articles say to creat new shared folder in new location and just change the path in the folderredirct policy and the home folder will move over automatically when users logon and off i am not too sure about this so if this is true let me know. sound too easy 2.uncheck the "move the contents of my documents folder to the new location" in the folder redirct policy settings. move the home folder to new location using xcopy with a bunch of strings to preserve the acl and ownership on the folder and subfolder update gp on the computer wait for all users to logon and off then change the path in the folder redirct policy. this one sound more difficult can some please let me know if either of these process is correct 1 or 2, which is the best way to go what the best practice for moving the folder redircect to new server
August 3rd, 2010 4:02pm

Hi, For suggestion 1, it may fail to be applied if you give permission to users but not domain admin. Suggestion 2 is a common process. However you may still encounter similar permission issue when trying to copy files. If you choose to take ownership of the files, you will need to give permission back to users so the files will still work. Have a look on following thread as a similar issue: How to copy folders/files from another server to new redirected folders on server share http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverGP/thread/7301c0bf-9504-4afb-9de9-9bdfabc5cfa8Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 6th, 2010 11:05am

When planning this deployment, consider using DFS to facilitate this and any further migration. For example, you could configure DFS so users can acces their homedrive via a DFS share. Then you can (gradually) configure GPO so the homedrives use the DFS path. After (or even before) that, you can add the new servershares as adittional foldertargets and configure replication to "copy" files. After all users and files have been migrated, reconfigure the shares to have only the new fileserver as targets. Leave the DFS in place: it can become handy of you need to do any other migration on fileservers! The first of your options works for "my documents" because this is made avilable offline. Consider this scenario might bring you in trouble if this is not properly configured or functioning. I would rather choose scenario 2 because it leaves a greater amount of control to the administratorMCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
August 6th, 2010 1:32pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics