microsoft windows network
Dear Sir, We had windows 2003 R2 64 Bit server we upgraded all 4 windows DC to win 2008 R2 64 bit.... Now the issue is tha we are getting following error while accessing domain PCs in microsoft windows entire Network--> microsoft windows networik. Errior :- Test_Main_Net is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available... The output from NBTstat -n is following :- C:\Documents and Settings\testuser>nbtstat -n Local Area Connection: Node IpAddress: [192.168.10.151] Scope Id: [] NetBIOS Local Name Table Name Type Status --------------------------------------------- TEST <00> UNIQUE Registered TEST_MAIN_NET <00> GROUP Registered TEST <20> UNIQUE Registered TEST_MAIN_NET <1E> GROUP Registered I have tried everything.. but not get solve the proble.. now i need expert advice from someone. your help will be appreciated.... i am really in big need of your help... if i am not posting this post in correct category then kindly tell me the correct category... Thanks & regards Vishal Sharma
March 20th, 2011 9:34am

Dear Sir, We had windows 2003 R2 64 Bit server we upgraded all 4 windows DC to win 2008 R2 64 bit.... Now the issue is tha we are getting following error while accessing domain PCs in microsoft windows entire Network--> microsoft windows networik. Errior :- Test_Main_Net is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available... The output from NBTstat -n is following :- C:\Documents and Settings\testuser>nbtstat -n Local Area Connection: Node IpAddress: [192.168.10.151] Scope Id: [] NetBIOS Local Name Table Name Type Status --------------------------------------------- TEST <00> UNIQUE Registered TEST_MAIN_NET <00> GROUP Registered TEST <20> UNIQUE Registered TEST_MAIN_NET <1E> GROUP Registered I have tried everything.. but not get solve the proble.. now i need expert advice from someone. your help will be appreciated.... i am really in big need of your help... if i am not posting this post in correct category then kindly tell me the correct category... Thanks & regards Vishal Sharma
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 20th, 2011 9:42am

Is this from server to client? client to client? What operating system are clients? Have you tried disjoin / rejoin some of the clients as a test? Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
March 20th, 2011 5:40pm

Are you using WINS? Did you actually *upgrade* the 2003 machines to 2008, or did you install new 2008 DC? There are a number of things that can cause this, but difficult to tell with the limited info provided. When you said you've "tried everything," can you elaborate on exactly what you've tried so far, please? Post an ipcofig /all from your DCs, please, in order to allow us to evaluate your current configuration and relationship between the DCs. Also, FYI, underscore characters are illegal DNS characters. The NetBIOS feature discussed in this thread wouldn't be affected by the underscores, however DNS has problems with underscores. Here's more info on naming conventions with AD and DNS: Naming conventions in Active Directory for computers, domains, sites, and OUs http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909264 Adding 2008 Domain Controller to an existing Forrest: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverDS/thread/9b10e95f-f34c-4a0d-8d3c-976831a99887 AceAce Fekay MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007 & Exchange 2010, Exchange 2010 Enterprise Administrator, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003 Microsoft Certified Trainer Microsoft MVP - Directory Services This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 21st, 2011 1:49am

Hi Vishal, This error prompt was encountered when attempting to access a group via network/entire Network/ Microsoft windows network/TEST_MAIN_NET on Windows Server 2008 host? Computer Browser service is required to browse network resources. For each subnet at least one machine needs to be running Computer Browser service. The service automatically starts in Win2003 but is disabled in Win2008 by default. Therefore, please change DC Computer Browser service to start automatically. Additionally, please start service TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper and enable network discovery in firewall on 2008 server. If it still does not work, please use browstat tool to troubleshoot on Windows XP Client. NetBIOS browsing across subnets may fail after upgrading to Windows Server 2008 http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2008/07/25/netbios-browsing-across-subnets-may-fail-after-upgrading-to-windows-server-2008.aspx Troubleshooting the Microsoft Computer Browser Service http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188305/ You cannot access shared files and folders or browse computers in the workgroup with Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318030 Regards, Rick Tan
March 22nd, 2011 9:09am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics