member of admin group can not access admin shares
The system I am trying to connect to is windows server 2008 r2. I am connecting from windows 7. The 2k8 box has the normal c$ share and a share of the e drive which the admin group is allowed to access. The administrator can access either of these shares fine. I added a new user named logreader, and added him to the admin group. I can remote desktop in with this user(which means his membership in the admin group is recognized), but I cannot access any of the shares. What would stop this user from being able to access admin shares?
October 6th, 2011 10:51am

bit more info... The machine is not part of a domain, and the only users one the system are admin, logreader and guest(disabled)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 6th, 2011 10:52am

UAC is off on the machine I am trying to connect from, does it need to be off on the server?
October 6th, 2011 11:03am

Would joining this machine to a domain help? sry for all the extra question. I would just try this stuff, but its a live database server and I can't reset it right now.
October 6th, 2011 11:17am

Hi, Thank you for your post. By default, Windows 2008 prevent local accounts from accessing administrative shares through the network. You could add one registry entry to enable administrative shares according to KB947232. If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.Regards, Rick Tan
October 7th, 2011 2:00am

Hi, Thank you for your post. By default, Windows 2008 prevent local accounts from accessing administrative shares through the network. You could add one registry entry to enable administrative shares according to KB947232. If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.Regards, Rick Tan
October 7th, 2011 8:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics