mapping drive please help
Hello, I have a server running on windows server 2003, all the other 5 computers are able to map the drive in the server and login with the credientials I have. The Problem: I just got a new computer, custom built, everything works fine, the internet is working, I see all the computers(5 of them) in the network and I also see both servers in the same workgroup. I can map the network drive on the NEW computer from anywhere, however, i cant map from the NEW pc to the SERVE When i try to map a drive on the server, it asks for a login username and password. I type in the RIGHT INFO a million times, and It says login failed, unknown user or wrong password. But ALL THE OTHER COMPUTERS connect to the server with the same login. I cannot login the server at all, both servers. every time i type in the login info, it just says that the login failed and it gives me a refresh ( so i can retype) and if i keep pressing enter with the "wrong password" it does not lock me out or anything, it seems like I'm not even connecting or anything. I am following all the right procedures to mapping a drive, and I have set all the sharing permissions on the new computer right. I have turned off the firewall from both the server and the computer, I am an administrator on both computers I am pretty knowledgeable with computer, this has never happened, anyone please help? thanks a million!
June 22nd, 2010 1:09am

I'd double check that the workgroup name matches. Try pinging the server by name / address. Also try mapping by address as in \\192.168.1.1\sharename Try browsing the share location. Also post unedited ipconfig /all may help. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 22nd, 2010 2:23am

all the computers are in the same workgroup, i will try mapping by IP, and i dont know what to do with ipconfig /all whats it for?
June 23rd, 2010 4:19am

Start|Run|cmd.exe then ipconfig /all paste the unedited result in a reply for possible trouble shooting. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 23rd, 2010 6:48am

Hi Leo, In order to narrow down the issue, please confirm the following information: 1. Are all of the computers and servers in the same Workgroup? 2. Are all of the computers unable to map network drive to the server? Please try to create a new local account for server and to grant appropriate permission for share folder on the server, after that you can map network drive by logging on as new local account you create. TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 28th, 2010 12:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics