looking for client virtualization solution

I notice that windows 10 has Hyper-V.  If I installed stand alone Hyper-V on a server and wish to manage it with my windows 10 notebook......... which version of Hyper-V stand alone does the server need to be running?

I think I have hyper-v 20

September 2nd, 2015 5:09pm

While Windows 10 Hyper-V Manager can manage Hyper-V 2016 (they would be considered equal releases), it can also manage Hyper-V 2012 R2.

However, I will temper that with: there are issues around managing down level version of Hyper-V with Windows 10 at the moment.

There are some known issues and patches are being released as new Windows 10 builds are released.  So, it is not a flawless thing at this point in time.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2015 5:36pm

So there is a newer version of the stand alone hyper-v.....?  Hyper-v 2016.  Or is this a full server OS.

I think you helped me before!  My original attempts at virtualization did not work.  The video quality was crappy.  I think you suggested windows terminal services as an option.

September 2nd, 2015 6:02pm

"Hyper-V Server" is the free SKU that lacks a GUI.  Regardless of the release.

2012 R2 is the last released version.

There is a Hyper-V Server 2016 Technology Preview 3 that follows the Windows Server 2016 Tech Preview 3 release.

September 2nd, 2015 6:13pm

So hyper-v 2012 R2 will work with the console that comes with my windows 10?

I think my problem also related to lower quality zero clients.  I have two Dell FX 100 zero clients.

I wanted to get video quality comparable to my current i3 desktops.  Maybe I am being unreasonable.

September 2nd, 2015 6:23pm

The video quality is impacted by both ends - the client and the server.

If you are still pursuing the same solution as before, your most limiting factor will continue to be your Zero clients.  No matter what you toss at the other end (what version of Hyper-V or the client)

The OS that the zero clients run has a particular version of RDP.  The VM you are connecting to has a particular version of RDP.

The one with the lowest version (oldest version) will set the top limit of your capabilities (resolution, colors, device remoting, etc.)

In the case of your i3 desktops.  The OS has a version of RDP that defines the same limitations and is most likely a newer version of RDP.

Back to your original question - yes, Windows 10 can manage Hyper-V 2012 R2.  But, it is not a bug free / always works without a burp situation at this time.  It is getting better and will continue to get better.  But not flawless.

September 2nd, 2015 7:09pm

Would I be better off using some form of Celeron processor mini computer then using a thin client?

What I want to achieve is basically 4 to 6 virtual machines that can do basic computer uses, but also handle You Tube video and similar graphics.

I wanted to look at virtualization to avoid needing a full computer for each of these 4 to 6 locations.

My current computer for server has 16 GB ram but only a i3-2120 processor.  I am willing to upgrade to 32 GB of ram and an i7 or a xeon E3 processor to make this work.

But what would I need on the other end for the thin c

September 2nd, 2015 8:18pm

Hi Heather,

>>Would I be better off using some form of Celeron processor mini computer then using a thin client?

I suppose using a thin client for user is enough.

Best Regards,

Leo

September 15th, 2015 1:46am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics